Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Before I Wake (2016) was Somnia (2015)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Just caught this in a press release for The Newton Brothers’ OCULUS soundtrack:

“Currently The Newton Brothers are working on SOMNIA which they are co-scoring with Danny Elfman.”

IMDb describes SOMNIA as:

“A horror/thriller centered on an orphan whose dreams and nightmares manifest physically as he sleeps.”

The film is directed by Mike Flanagan, who also directed OCULUS. Danny’s daughter, Mali, is an Executive Producer.

Ryan

Lambegue
    Participant

Interesting collaboration…

ddddeeee
    Participant

I’ve been listening to some of The Newton Brothers and it’s really not for me at all. Hoping Danny contributes more.

Monsterhead
    Participant

OCCULUS was a snooze inducer. Funny, I saw Mali Elfman in a hotel lobby the day before I saw OCCULUS at SXSW.

ddddeeee
    Participant

BD: One of your next projects is another film with Mike Flanagan, called SOMNIA – only this time, you’re also teaming up with the famous composer Danny Elfman. How did that come about, and how exactly is your collaborative process going to work? (Also, that must be pretty exciting!)
    AG: It is indeed very exciting. Words are not appropriate in describing it. We’ve been collaborating on thematic elements lately. After we’ve got themes nailed down, we’ll lean into textures and applying themes to the rest of the film.

TS: It’s very exciting. He’s brilliant. We’re both big fans of his. I remember listening to EDWARD SCISSORHANDS (1991) in high school. It was just breathtaking. It still is. We met Danny at the Toronto International Film Festival. He came to the OCULUS premiere.

http://khpbooks.com/cinemaknifefight/scoring-horror-interview-newton-brothers/

ddddeeee
    Participant

Now called Before I Wake and here’s the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho2Z0LtXsbY

Out May 8th

Monsterhead
    Participant

Wow. It looks unbearable.

Thor
    Participant

It looks like a fairly standard horror flick, to be honest, even though it has a few interesting visual details (like the butterflies). I don’t know why Elfman signed on to it — maybe because he hasn’t really done a contemporary horror flick like this in the past (I’m not counting ‘fantasy’/gothic stuff like SLEEPY HOLLOW, NIGHTBREED, THE WOLFMAN etc.).

But I’m ready to be positively surprised.

ddddeeee
    Participant

It’s been delayed till September.

I read the script for this and thought it was wonderful, far less enthused with the trailer though.

boingomusic
    Participant

“–I don’t know why Elfman signed on to it–“

Well, his daughter is producing the movie….
    I’m not sure he’s composing the whole score though… Maybe just themes.

I’m really excited about this project.

ddddeeee
    Participant

https://twitter.com/jeffreyhoward33/status/601450475225882625

Can anyone make out Danny’s credit? Additional Music and Themes By?

Steve Bartek website shows that they definitely recorded music.

DannyBiker
    Participant

I’m pretty sure it says “Music by Danny Elfman and Brian Tyler”.

Lambegue
    Participant

The company filed bankruptcy, apparently nothing is sure anymore about a release of the movie. Even less one of its soundtrack, I guess.
    Between this and “Tulip Fever”, that still doesn’t have a release date…Elfman is quite unlucky with some of his projects.

ddddeeee
    Participant
    ddddeeee
    Participant

‘I was curious how deeply involved Danny Elfman and John Debney were in the writing of the score. Taylor mentioned that from about 80 minutes of ‘Before I Wake”s score, Danny Elfman took the biggest cue of them all which is about 13 minutes long. Additionally one of Taylor’s favourite scenes in the movie is accompanied by an “amazing piece of music” which again was scored by Danny Elfman.

[Danny Elfman] spent a lot of time on ‘Before I Wake’. He did a couple of big chunks and we did the rest. So definitely it wasn’t like “Here’s this little piece of music, I’m outta here.” Luckily enough we worked with quite a few different guys and Danny isn’t like that at all. He definitely worked really hard on it. He likes to write his music and he gives great advice and opinion. Same as John. He is a true collaborator. He comes in, does his thing and that’s great.’

http://www.soundtracksandtrailermusic.com/2015/09/the-newton-brothers/

ddddeeee
    Participant

Yay!

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Varese Sarabande will release the soundtrack in April.

ddddeeee
    Participant

I think they’re behind – the movie has been delayed again and currently has no release date.

dr.giggles
    Participant

I missed the last post here. I’ve been confused and waiting. Any news?

ddddeeee
    Participant

The movie has been released in some foreign markets (reception seems mixed) but it still doesn’t have a US release date. Relativity has come out of bankruptcy so I imagine it’ll get another release date soon.

At least we know when it does get released Varese are releasing the score. :)

ddddeeee
    Participant

September 8th.

http://www.thewrap.com/relativity-sets-release-dates-for-masterminds-kidnap-and-before-i-wake/

Alice – May
    Tulip Fever – July
    Before I Wake – September
    The Circle – November?
    Fifty Shades Darker – February

Nice little run for us Elfman fans. Also, the variety between these projects is quite something – I know I’m biased but Elfman’s got the most exciting career right now.

ddddeeee
    Participant

As the movie has been released in quite a few foreign territories the score has found its way onto Youtube.

The cover is really cool.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Yeah, I found it as well but I’ve seen debates about the actual inclusion of Elfman’s music in what has been leaking.

ddddeeee
    Participant

I’ve listened to the score and I’d say it’s around 15% Elfman? It’s pretty clear when it’s him and it’s certainly clear when it’s not…

I’d say the ‘Additional Music and Themes by’ credit was a lot closer to the truth, but Elfman’s a name composer so… Varese are releasing the CD so we should get a breakdown of who wrote what in September.

The track titles give away the entire movie btw.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Yeah, I still haven’t listened to it, I couldn’t say.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.