Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Monsterhead
    Participant

Gus Van Sant is filming his new movie (one that he’s being trying to make for years). There is no composer attached yet, but it looks poised for Awards season, so hopefully Elfman and Van Sant will reunite. The movie stars Joaquin Phoenix and is based on the biography of paraplegic cartoonist John Callahan.

ddddeeee
    Participant

I’m hopeful he’ll be announced for this soon; he doesn’t seem to have any other upcoming movies (bar Fifty Shades Freed I’m assuming).

ddddeeee
    Participant

“We worked together today, actually.” Seems like he’s already working on this.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Elfman’s regulars have started adding this to their resumes online (Edgardo Simone and Noah Snyder).

I heard Elfman started work on Justice League around five weeks ago so I wonder how the scheduling worked out.

Monsterhead
    Participant
    ddddeeee
    Participant
    ddddeeee
    Participant

ddddeeee
    Participant

ddddeeee
    Participant
    ddddeeee
    Participant

‘Set in Van Sant’s native Portland, and zeroing in on a very narrow segment of Callahan’s book, the film once again finds avant-gardist Van Sant operating in ultra-conventional Lasse Hallström mode, spinning a handsome, honey-toned inspirational tale (bolstered by one of the warmest scores of Danny Elfman’s career),’

http://variety.com/2018/film/reviews/dont-worry-he-wont-get-far-on-foot-review-1202670426/

Also, Elfman and Van Sant are taking part in a ‘Cinema Cafe’ interview in a few hours. These are always really informative and lengthy!

ddddeeee
    Participant

Van Sant maintains an improvisatory spirit, too. He has elicited a stupendous score from Danny Elfman that’s largely bebop but with alternately eerie and comforting orchestral noodling.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/01/review-dont-worry-he-wont-get-far-on-foot-is-a-winner.html

While it doesn’t seem like it’s a home run, this is looking to be Elfman’s first well-received movie since Goosebumps.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Funny how he kept watching his watch during the Sundance Q&A and I thought that it wasn’t very polite as busy as he is. And then, when they were about to wrap it up, he looked one more time and said “we can have one more question if it’s possible”.

I’ll never doubt of you again Danny, I promise !

sajrocks
    Participant

That dual interview was mesmerizing! Also re “looking to be Elfman’s first well-received movie since Goosebumps”, i think it should be noted that though panned by critics, JUSTICE LEAGUE took in $650m+ worldwide and has relatively high audience scores across the board. And while the critics panned TULIP and GIRL, both films received kudos for Elfman’s scores, especially the latter. Just trying to look at the bright side!

ddddeeee
    Participant

Justice League was a huge underperformer.

True about Elfman getting good notices (even if Tulip Fever made no good use of Elfman’s excellent music) for those films though, and he’s been getting the same for this one.

I’m normally not too fussed on the quality of the movies, but this year has seen Elfman score four big critical duds, so it’s nice to see this get good notices (currently at 90% at Rotten Tomatoes).

I’m also happy for Van Sant, who has made some of my favourite movies – My Own Private Idaho, Drugstore Cowboy, To Die For, Elephant…

sajrocks
    Participant

At least this breaks the trend in less than three years, lest we forget the critical dud brigade that was 1998-2001 (CIVIL ACTION to PLANET OF THE APES). *shiver*

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

So much burgundy on that panel!

ddddeeee
    Participant

‘Don’t Worry, He Won’t Get Far on Foot’ Soundtrack Details

1. Don’t Worry, He Won’t Get Far on Foot (Main Title)
    2. 1st Drink
    3. Phone Call
    4. Car Crash
    5. Stuck in the Tracks
    6. Out of Reach
    7. The Kids, Pt. 1
    8. Mother’s Name
    9. The Liquor Store
    10. Annu
    11. The Hospital Bed – Alex Somers
    12. Steps
    13. Drawing Montage
    14. Gymnasts
    15. Showing Off
    16. Donnie is Sick
    17. John’s Speech
    18. Weepy Donuts
    19. The Kids, Pt. 2
    20. Good News
    21. 12th Step
    22. Texas When You Go – John Callahan
    23. Auntie Tia – Danny and the Hillbilly Boyz

boingomusic
    Participant

Danny and the Hillbilly Boyz ?!?
    It reminds me of Mosley and the B-Men from a midnight run. Hopefully, it’s a new song by Danny.

The movie is already out in theaters in Switzerland. How strange it gets such a late release in the US. Haven’t seen it yet.

DannyBiker
    Participant

It’s coming out next week here as well; it’s not uncommon for smaller films to get advanced wolrdwide release dates but this is quite early indeed.

I’ve read somewhere that the music has elements of bebop so it might be Danny having fun just for the giggles. Anyway, there’s a Weepy Donuts track, all is well.

ddddeeee
    Participant

CD link. Sony Classical come through again.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Second clip has score.

DannyBiker
    Participant

That book store lady is a Michael Stuhlbarg look-alike…

Music sounds really nice.

Thor
    Participant

Music sounding good in my ears, Again, this is my type of Elfman in 2018.

ddddeeee
    Participant
    ddddeeee
    Participant

Cover art is now on Amazon.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.