Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Justice League

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    ddddeeee
    Participant

Elfman’s currently n Vienna where they are preparing a tribute concert for him. He did a little talk and here’s a recap from someone who attending at FilmScoreMonthly.

‘And finally there was Danny Elfman talking with journalist Melinda Newman about his career and his approach to scoring. There were great stories about his beginnings as a film composer (being in totally over his head), about director’s love for their temp track (I love what you did there but I was so moved by that piece on the temp…). He also talked a little bit about Justice League which was recorded last week in London. He talked about the work doing the mock-up and that the samples for a particularly moving sequence just didn’t do justice for what he intended so he persuaded the producers to hire a string orchestra to embellish the mock-up. Let’s just say that I am really looking forward to that score.’

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=119077&forumID=1&archive=0

ddddeeee
    Participant
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

“Batman the shit out of it.”

Yes please.

DannyBiker
    Participant

http://collider.com/justice-league-danny-elfman-superman-theme/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=collidersocial

Oh my, I can’t wait.

Edit : oops, it’s just a shorter version of Ryan’s link, my bad.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I see a few sources claiming that Danny Elfman hired a string orchestra to sweeten a certain cue for a certain scene, but if I recall the Billboard interview he did this for a demo cue only. Am I misremembering?

ddddeeee
    Participant

It’s a separate interview: Elfman demoed a cue for the producers and they weren’t sold, he then was able to convince them to hire a string orchestra to show them what he had intended (the demo didn’t do the cue justice) and they were then sold.

ddddeeee
    Participant

New trailer is a lot better than the others.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Visually, it’s still atrocious…

ddddeeee
    Participant

There’s at least a bit of heart in this one. The characters look fun too.

I wonder if Elfman’s now in the running to score Aquaman?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

2CD album due December 8 from Watertower.

DannyBiker
    Participant

>>2CD album

YESSSSSS !

>>due December 8

NOOOOOOO !

ddddeeee
    Participant

Three additional composers listed on IMDB so far.

Hope this isn’t another Goosebumps/AoU situation were every other cue had another composer involved. I appreciate that the deadlines are tough but it makes Elfman seem like a brand as opposed to one composer. He, along with Beltrami, seems to need help more than any other non-RC composer, actually.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

No offence to these additional composers but something tells me it’s kind of smoothing over the cracks rather than major set pieces.

ddddeeee
    Participant

If that were the case, wouldn’t they be credited with ‘Additional Arrangements’ instead? They’re almost always credited with 50% of the cue on the BMI repertoire (apart from Alice) which suggests they had quite a bit to do. T.J. Lindgren posts all of the music he writes for Elfman on his soundcloud and they’re sometimes quite substantial.

ddddeeee
    Participant

First cue

Thor
    Participant

God, what a totally insipid cue.

ddddeeee
    Participant

It’s really disappointing; I hope it’s not indicative of the rest of the score.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Okay, that was just…bad. :/

And this is not better : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hLKtI4yYqw&feature=youtu.be

ddddeeee
    Participant

Elfman’s action music is always excellent…what’s going on?

These cues sound like demos too.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Been listening to it and I like it more and more each time, but I’m afraid it’s no longer the right place to say it.

🙁

DannyBiker
    Participant

Yeah, it’s growing on me as well but honestly, anything can grow with time. It’s still not a great theme no matter how you listen to it. It’s better with a headset but it’s very poor in terms of orchestrations and rhythmic, at least for Elfman’s standard. I do actually think that the theme as a potential when played in a more organic way, with the pictures, but it’s closer to his minimalist POTA and T4 themes than say Spider-Man or Hulk.

And come to think of it, it’s normal : that kind of theme fits better the really monolithic DC musical universe. It does sound that he wasn’t given too much freedom. Or that he chose to stick with what was already existing.

I’m sure it will have its moments but the hype is gone for me…

ddddeeee
    Participant

I like the rhythm but it really is so disappointing to hear Elfman go RC. He often makes a big deal about trying to avoid it.

The other cue is better but I can’t get past the recording.

DannyBiker
    Participant

The editing of the officially released track is terrible as well.

Also, the first phrase of the Hero theme is reminiscent of Giacchino’s theme for the Vulture from the latest Spider-Man movie…

ddddeeee
    Participant

Sound quality for the ‘Friends and Foes’ cue is better in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF4Qh9yFIoA

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

What’s wrong with everyone? Kind of loving this, especially the big Batman Theme moment around 3:33.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 131 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.