Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Potential Work For Elfman On The Way!

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Thor
    Participant

TenderLumpling Wrote:

A score just serving a film, without any variety
    > or variance, should not be enough to win an
    > academy award. That isn’t the criteria for any
    > other aspect of filmmaking — to just solely be
    > effective and that’s it.

That’s one strange argument if I’ve ever seen one. Of course, you may have a more ambient, textural score with minimal melody and/or instruments that lifts the film to higher quality – TERMINATOR 2, CRASH (Isham’s version), BLADE RUNNER, SOLARIS (Martinez), ERASERHEAD, MOON and so on. It all depends on the type of movie and what they want to say with it. Thankfully, music is more than orchestral or thematic music, nice as that may be.

Torque
    Participant

Thor Wrote:

> TenderLumpling Wrote:
    >

> Of course, you may have a more ambient, textural
    > score with minimal melody and/or instruments that
    > lifts the film to higher quality – TERMINATOR 2,
    > CRASH (Isham’s version), BLADE RUNNER, SOLARIS
    > (Martinez), ERASERHEAD, MOON and so on. It all
    > depends on the type of movie and what they want to
    > say with it.

Good examples. Also I must say that all sci-fi movies should be provide by electronic/minimal/ambient score.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Yeah, but those scores have more than just 13 minutes of the same 2 bars of music.

Thor
    Participant

TenderLumpling Wrote:

> Yeah, but those scores have more than just 13
    > minutes of the same 2 bars of music.

Well, if it’s the repetitive aspect you don’t like, what about the minimalist music by Glass, Nyman et.al.?

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN called for a) a SMALL amount of music, since the relationship between the two speaks for itself and becomes more ambivalent without musical guidance and b) just that gentle guitar solo to insinuate the gentle, slightly melancholic relationship as put against an outdoors/playing-guitar-by-the-fire type of mood.

I thought it was absolutely perfect and a very deserved winner.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Well, if it’s the repetitive aspect you don’t like, what about the minimalist music by Glass, Nyman et.al.?

Well, Glass’ material is so much more comprehensive, offering variety.

Natrebo
    Participant

The whole idea of minimalism is that things are changing, only at a much slower rate.

Nick Parker
    Participant

The Fahrenheit 451 score was not even released until a few years ago (conducted by Morgan Stromberg, I believe), is that correct? If so, I find it hard to imagine that Danny Elfman would be familiar enough with the music to quote it….

And regarding Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure (I have no desire to mention the other one), I personally consider it to be the best Nino Rota pastiche I have ever heard. His theme for Pee-Wee is very similar to the theme from Otto e Mezzo, to my ear.

The Fahrenheit 451 score was not even released until a few years ago (conducted by Morgan Stromberg, I believe), is that correct? If so, I find it hard to imagine that Danny Elfman would be familiar enough with the music to quote it….

He could have, you know, just watched the movie. lol.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Timur Bekmambetov signs to produce and direct THE LAST WITCH HUNTER:

http://www.deadline.com/2010/03/summit-bewitched-by-timur-pitch/

Ryan

Lucius
    Participant

Well, here is another possible one. Elfman may no longer be the comic book guy and might be the Monster guy from here on out. We’ll see.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/44456

Lucius

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

How dare you link to AICN, sir.

elfboy91
    Participant

Just a quick question Ryan… What’s your beef with AICN? As an Austinite I would like to know. Just wondering… ps. I don’t read it, it was just a question..

Lucius
    Participant

Sorry about that, Ryan. I forgot about your ‘Harry Hate’. Don’t ban me from the forum. I will only post from legitimate sites from now on. Does Perez Hilton cover movies? ;)

Lucius

Matthew Vaughn is directing X-Men: First Class. So, if Elfman did indeed contribute a track to Kick-Ass then perhaps he’ll be considered for this gig.

Is it too late for Elfman to score this movie?

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I had thought that David Arnold was scoring that film, but that doesn’t appear to be the case. Elfman for Scott Pilgrim! He ought to establish a working relationship with Edgar Wright, one of the most creative filmmakers working today. Cool guy, too.

I think that Scott Pilgrim is mostly gonna be songs, but a track or two of score music could work as well. And since Danny surprised everyone by contributing one single track in Kick-Ass then anything is possible.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Word from the production, which was here in Toronto, is that this is a disaster.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

The trailers look pretty great, and early buzz has been fairly positive.

Yeah, they’ve had various test screenings and they’ve all been highly positive.

Another potential gig…

DannyBiker
    Participant

You’re kidding right ?

Crazier things have happened.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster
    TenderLumpling
    Participant

Ooo, very nice. Sign me up!

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.