skip to Main Content

Forums Forums General Discussion How the Grinch Stole Christmas

This topic contains 35 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan Keaveney 6 days, 3 hours ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author

ddddeeee
    Participant

Despicable Me 3 had a song album released by Columbia and then a digital score released by Backlot. I imagine the same is happening here.

ddddeeee
    Participant

ddddeeee
    Participant

Samples are on iTunes. The theme in the first track is a real earworm.

rkeaveney
    Keymaster

sajrocks
    Participant

a nod to “welcome christmas” from the 1966 film in the first bars of the opening? fah who foraze, dah who doraze indeed!

sajrocks
    Participant

additional thoughts just posted to FSM after second listen:

some of elfman’s brightest, airiest orchestrations in years (can really hear between the sections with some great woodwind clarity)…

loving the kooky faux rock/jazzy riffs al la ‘the incredibles’ in “walking toward destiny”, “grinch’s wild ride” and especially “mailing the letter”…

well hello reedy organ, theremin and i think elfman’s first use of full bell choir ever…

some terrific stallingesque writing reminiscent of his work on “meet the robinsons” and obvs “nightmare before christmas”…

knocks the choir/brass big christmas sound out of the park, and keeps the tchaikovsky pizzicato string + glockenspiel holiday cliche ALIVE…

standout tracks: “the big opening”, “christmas in whoville”, “lost lonely boy”, “loudest snow”, “taking the bait” and showstoppers “grinch’s wild ride” and “stealing christmas”…

ddddeeee
    Participant

It’s a bit distracting to hear that Oz theme (that later was used as a secondary theme for Time in Alice 2) all over this, but it’s Elfman unleashed, so obviously I’m loving it. The opening track is fantastic.

Still a bit bummed by the lack of CD.

rkeaveney
    Keymaster

Wish the recent Elfman London recordings were closer-mic’ed. I prefer being in the orchestra rather than outside of it.
    Lots of Prokofiev Romeo & Juliet too. Haven’t really picked out the main theme yet, but so far the score is a romp.

ddddeeee
    Participant

This was recorded in LA.

Much prefer the London recordings myself.

Thor
    Participant

After one listen, I’m not too thrilled. Lots of mickey-mousing and brass “screams” (reminiscent of FLUBBER, which is not a compliment). As previously mentioned, this is NOT the type of Elfman I gravitate towards these days.

I’ll sit impatiently and tap my fingers while I wait for his next indie project (or concert work) to be released.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Yikes, dddeee, you’re right. I think I got this and DUMBO mixed up. My daughter is almost 1 year old and my memory hasn’t returned… Those dumb dad sitcoms might not be totally wrong.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.