Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion The Voyage of Doctor Dolittle?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    ddddeeee
    Participant

Been added to Danny’s IMDB page.

Might be nothing, but Joe Roth is producing and he’s worked with Elfman a number of times.

ddddeeee
    Participant
    DannyBiker
    Participant

So close to Dumbo’s release date, additional composers are already warming up…

ddddeeee
    Participant

He’s working on Dumbo now, so hopefully things aren’t too cramped…

DannyBiker
    Participant

Saw a few mentions of this in my Google feed, I wonder if Elfman is still attached.

ddddeeee
    Participant

It’s mentioned on his website and his agency site. I’d guess he’s working on it now.

He has the cello concerto, National Youth Orchestra commission and the percussion concerto (though this one premieres in early 2021) to work on next year, so I wonder if this is going to be his last movie for a while.

iggybiggy
    Participant

Danny is scheduled to be in London from October 11th to the 23rd to start recording for Dr. Doolittle

ddddeeee
    Participant

Thanks for the update.

I generally love the London recordings (Alice Through the Looking Glass, in particular, sounds fantastic), but there have been a few scores lately were some recordings have been off. Most of Justice League sounds great, but some sounds muffled ( ‘The World Needs Superman’, for example). Newton Howard’s Crimes of Grindelwald was recorded there and had similar issues. There are a few moments in Dumbo that sound a bit muffled too.

ddddeeee
    Participant

No music team on IMDB, Elfman is in California the night before recording was supposed to begin, and he has mentioned that he’s currently writing the commission for the National Youth Symphony in recent interviews…

I smell another delay.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I’m not sure how much more they could delay recording, as Elfman starts his Nightmare concerts at the end of November and performs right through the first week of December.

boingomusic
    Participant

Well, Steve Bartek told me he was not in Paris during the Elfman week-end because he had to stay in LA working on Doolittle. That was three weeks ago. So, at least we know Elfman is done writing the music.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Interesting. I hope it’s all worked out and the messy production (new writer brought in for reshoots which were filmed by a new director) hasn’t affected the music. It’s apparently out in three months but we don’t even have a picture.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Well, a few of Elfman regulars are now credited and the trailer is out in a few days – I was wrong!

ddddeeee
    Participant

ddddeeee
    Participant

ddddeeee
    Participant

Seems like Universal is dumping this. Nothing on a score release, either.

At least it seems like we’ll be getting dragon music (what even is this movie?).

ddddeeee
    Participant

Soundtrack from Backlot Records.

ddddeeee
    Participant
    lonzoe
    Participant

Well Back Lot Music has already posted the soundtrack on youtube. However, I haven’t given it a listen.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Good thing I love the score to Oz…

ddddeeee
    Participant

It’s Elfman doing Elfman, so it’s not going to convert any non-believers. But some of the action cues feel really…. alive? Some really fun percussion in them. – some really exciting action music in general. Recording seems excellent.

Less convinced by the Prokofiev stuff appearing again (Oz ->Alice 2-> Grinch).

lonzoe
    Participant

So the score is basically Elfman in his comfort zone. Oh boy, I can already imagine Thor’s criticisms and complaints about this score not being to his liking.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Hmmm, the videos were on YouTube this AM, and now they’re marked as Private.

lonzoe
    Participant

Back Lot Music must’ve realized they released the music a week early on you tube. So to avoid deleting the Dolittle videos they marked each as private for the time being. Not to mention while also preventing youtubers from uploading any videos of the Dolittle score on you tube for the time being. That’s just my assumption anyway.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Just a digital release in the UK, too.

Bummer.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.