Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Tulip Fever

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    DannyBiker
    Participant

Yep, it might happen.

ddddeeee
    Participant

My order is ‘Preparing to dispatch’ 🙂

ddddeeee
    Participant

Merry Christmas!

CDs

ddddeeee
    Participant

This is very ‘classical’ sounding; it’s closest sibling would be ‘The Unknown Known’. The themes are clearly there but I’ll need a few more listens to really know them. Tracks 16 and 17 are quite powerful.

I love Elfman in this mode (clearly his preferred style of writing these days) but those expecting a return to Sommersby or Black Beauty (outside of a few rowdier cues) will be disappointed.

boingomusic
    Participant

Yes, I got the cd today as well. I didn’t expect so many melodic lines. It’s definitely similar to what Elfman has been doing for the pas few years. A lot of string-work. Some percussion. The melody is piano-driven. Clearly reminiscent of the Unknown Known. But some parts remind me OZ as well, which is a good thing.

It’s interesting, listening to this, I realized that Elfman’s rythmic violin layers have been around for a long time now, and he seems to use this type of writting all the time nowadays. I believe the first time I heard him use this was with the Spiderman Theme. Then he used it in Red Dragon, again with Charlie and the chocolate factory, Then Alice. And itŝ been around ever since.

As a kid, Elfman’s style was recognizable because of its magical elements, such as the celesta, music boxes, choirs. Or with its wackyness with Beetlejuice or the Simpsons.

Now, those rythmic layers of violins have definitely become a new fingerprint.

boingomusic
    Participant

I forgot to add that there are a few AMAZING tracks that have that medieval kind of sound (flute, guitar and some medieval percussion), like “streets” and “streets – part 2”.

iggybiggy
    Participant

Where did you two get your copies of the CD. I ordered it from target, and it told me a March release. so I am curios……

ddddeeee
    Participant

It was released today in the UK. US release is in March (and is also a CDR if that bothers you).

iggybiggy
    Participant

Your thoughts…….do you think the Amazon Canada release will be CD-R too? I would prefer the original CD artwork etc.

ddddeeee
    Participant

I would assume so. The Girl on the Train was a CD-R in America too; and again, the release in the UK was a CD.

boingomusic
    Participant

I got mine from http://www.cede.ch

Real cd, not a CD-R. Got Girl on train there as well and it was a real cd as well.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Amazon.ca Sony releases are pressed discs.

I’ve been listening to TULIP FEVER on Spotify and it’s pretty great — while it’s very close to SLEEPY HOLLOW, “Happy Family” is knockout.

ddddeeee
    Participant

I’m curious to see the movie if only because I can’t believe that Elfman was allowed to write a score like this… it seems like he had free reign to do as he wanted.

It’s a very intricate score; there are multiple themes which reveal themselves on repeat listens and the interplay between them is excellent. Sophia’s theme is played so, I dunno, rigidly (?) in the first two thirds of the score that the emotional takes at the end are quite emotionally overwhelming. Again, I haven’t seen the film so I’m assuming that the character is restrained for the most part and then ‘freed’ at the end.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Link to Amazon.ca for anyone in North America who wants to grab a pressed disc:

Tulip Fever (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

The exchange rate to US dollars means the disc retails for $12.70. Shipping is just over $6 US. It’s a bit more than what you’d pay if you ordered off Amazon.com, but at least this way you have an actual legit CD.

ddddeeee
    Participant

This is the third Elfman movie in a row to be completely savaged by critics. He’s getting good notices, though!

9fingeredElf
    Participant

Just saw the movie with 4 other people in the theater. Danny’s music compliments the movie very well. I didn’t think it was a disaster of a movie at all. I did have trouble feeling the emotions they were trying to convey at the end of the movie but I thought it was very well done. Costumes and set design were perfect. It wouldn’t be a waste of money if you went to go see it.

ddddeeee
    Participant

This was awful, and the music tracking was Wolfman-levels of bad.

Just listen to the score on album and ignore the movie.

ddddeeee
    Participant

People really slept on this one. Listening again – brilliant music here. Even though it’s littered with Elfmanisms, it’s got quite a distinctive sound.

ddddeeee
    Participant

I love this score!

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.