Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Are There Any Score Features Or Anything Of The Sort For “Dick Tracy”?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Nick Parker
    Participant

I was listening to “Dick Tracy” today, and I realized that I really do not know anything about the score. I am curious to hear Danny Elfman’s thoughts on the music, and maybe some others, such as Warren Beatty’s. Is there any form of interview with either of the two that details the music of “Dick Tracy”? Thanks.

gordonblu
    Participant

“Mr. Beatty’s colorful dreamscape and characters gave me a much desired chance to write something big, old-fashioned romanticism on a grand scale. I tip my hat to Mr. Gershwin on this one.” – Danny Elfman, Music For A Darkened Theater, Volume One

I seem to recall Elfman also saying at one point that working for Beatty was insane. I think he meant it in a good way.

Nick Parker
    Participant

Is that it? Really?

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Yea…he wasn’t too crazy about Warren Beatty. I recall that when the feud with Sam Raimi was first reported he said something like, “I’ve had bad experiences with directors, like Warren Beatty for example, but nothing was worse than Sam during Spider-Man 2.”

boingomusic
    Participant

I have an old interview on VHS, that was shot the day of the score release. And Elfman speaks about how his music was recieved compared to the PRINCE album for Batman, and how he thinks it’s gonna be the same with the Madonna album in the case of Dick Tracy. He also comments on how hard it is to work with a director who knows music, and how better it is with Tim Burton.

The interview is pretty funny, because Danny was in the middle of his DARK AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL tour, with Boingo, and everybody know this was the biggest tour ever for Boingo (they even went to Brazil). Danny seems soooo tired and annoyed with the questions. The journalist even says : “how do you do all these concerts, it sounds like it’s gonna turn you into a zombie”, and Elfman answers : “Well, it did!” ;-)

I wish I could put this interview on youtube, but it’s pretty hard, since it comes from a VHS…

That interview was on YouTube back in 2006 but got deleted for some reason. I believe the interviewer was Charlie Rose.

Nick Parker
    Participant

Was it this one?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I love seeing all these Elfman clips on YouTube, seeing as my entire YouTube account was deleted because I had the same clips!

Nick Parker
    Participant

I feel sympathy for you, assuming you are the one whose videos are the ones found in the “Sound and Video” Section. I was looking forward to watching those….

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Yep, those are them! I’m starting from scratch very soon.

Nick Parker
    Participant

I like the sound of that….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.