Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Back to School

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I might be crazy, but Danny’s score to Back to School, to me, is brilliant. He did more for that movie than it deserved (not saying it’s a bad movie). Am I the only one that realizes the true brillance of this song? I mean, I know it’s simple and all, but it has such a catchy theme and feel to it.

Anonymous

song or score, or just the “Study Montage” as an individual piece because it is quite classic

Anonymous

As a musician, the thing that impresses me most is the way Elfman takes basically a three-note motif (do re mi) and messes with it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over…and yet the opening titles music is anything but dull and repetitious. He keeps those three notes interesting for over 2 minutes, and does the same thing in the Study Montage. THAT is the part I’d call brilliant. Some of the other cues are pretty spastic and interesting, but not necessarily brilliant.

Anonymous

That’s kinda what James Newton Howard did with “Signs” score, which I think is also brilliant.

Anonymous

OK, maybe brilliant was a little too much. But I do think that it was more than the movie deserved. And it WAS a good movie.(to me, that is)

The 30th anniversary of Back to School is in a few days. A few years back, I bought the Pee-Wee/Back to School combo pack. It’s the digital album, not the CD. So whenever I listen to Pee-Wee, I end up listening to Back to School as well. As a result, my appreciation for the score has grown tremendously. But there has also been another result. Like many, Study Montage was my favorite track, but as I’ve listened to the album several times, Triple Lindy has replaced it. There’s something so shamelessly cheesy about that track that it’s difficult not to love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpcMPtl8pyg

lonzoe
    Participant

Actually “Back To School” came out on June 13th 1986 in the US.

lonzoe Wrote:

> Actually “Back To School” came out on June 13th
    > 1986 in the US.

Damn. You’re right. It actually came out the same day as Ferris Bueller. Imagine watching those two as a double feature? Anyway, it’s Club Paradise that’s turning 30 in a few days. I don’t know how I got those two movies mixed up. lol. Regardless, Happy 30th to Back to School.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think the same. This Score is brilliant in the parts where it can.

In this scene the percussion is like a
    firing squad that will kill Zorton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yec9xYJxpE&ab_channel=RussellB.

and the overture, study montage and Triple Lindy would be at the top of Elfman creations of all his career.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I dont understand why Elfman dont talks about this score, because i think is better than Pee Wee for example, in fact one of his best scores of the begin of his career.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.