Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Dick Tracy – restored and expanded?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Thor
    Participant

Anyone who knows me, knows that I hate complete and chronological presentations of scores, and I think the existing DICK TRACY album is perfectly fine the way it is.

That said, there is a feature in the current FSM Online that’s called “Do You Know Dick? An Elfman Score Restore”. As I do not subscribe to the online magazine anymore, I do not have access to the article and was wondering what this was all about. Can anyone explain?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

They dropped in “Crime Spree” over the picture. That’s all!

sajrocks
    Participant

I’ve always wondered how that would look/sound. I love me some Sondheim, but Beatty’s montage is paint-by-number and Elfman’s piece better builds the action while both syncopating and mickey-mousing it.

Thanks for the heads up!

saj

Thor
    Participant

Thanks, Ryan. I’m sure we would have heard something if it was an upcoming reissue.

boingomusic
    Participant

THOR : “I’m sure we would have heard something if it was an upcoming reissue.”

Well, Thor, sometimes we have very pleasant surprises, like the Mars Attacks Reissue, that was totally unexpected… And trust-me, we can expect another VERY VERY pleasant surprise soon, regarding an unreleased score that every Elfman fan has been dreaming of, for a loooong time now ;-)

Thor
    Participant

boingomusic Wrote:

> THOR : “I’m sure we would have heard something if
    > it was an upcoming reissue.”
    >
    > Well, Thor, sometimes we have very pleasant
    > surprises, like the Mars Attacks Reissue, that was
    > totally unexpected… And trust-me, we can expect
    > another VERY VERY pleasant surprise soon,
    > regarding an unreleased score that every Elfman
    > fan has been dreaming of, for a loooong time now
    > ;-)

Oh? You know something that we don’t?

boingomusic
    Participant

Well,

I heard, from a pretty good source, that something was going to happen, regarding some 80’s unreleased x-mas score… I don’t know when, and how, but I think this person can be trusted ;-)

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

World’s Worst Kept Secret? :)

SCROOGED, from La-La Land Records.

boingomusic
    Participant

Nice Ryan, thanks to you, I don’t feel guilty, because YOU said it, and not me ;-)

Thor
    Participant

Well, that’s nice. I have the boot which combines the MFADT suite with various rips of varying quality. There are a couple of nice cues that weren’t in the suite, but for the most part, it’s pretty representative. Either way, it’s a short score, so if this is planned, I hope they include something….extra.

I agree with Thor. Scrooged is a rather short score. I actually re-watched the movie back in December and the 10 minute suit on MFADT is pretty much like 70% of the score.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

You’re both… Wrong :) There’s at least almost 20 minutes of score in the film, and about that much that never made the film. Many, many Elfman highlights here — the siege on Santa’s workshop, the “Humanitarian of The Year” cue (with an early hint at Elfman’s SPIDER-MAN theme), and the finale cue where “Calvin Speaks”. A very important entry in Elfman’s filmography, as his next was BATMAN.

Scrooged was an important film for Elfman in the sense that it was his first high-profile movie. Pee-Wee and Back to School were summer flicks, but they were the in-between blockbuster movies. While Beetlejuice was a sleeper hit. Scrooged, on the other hand, was a big Thanksgiving weekend movie directed by famous director Richard Donner. So, yeah, it kinda prepared him for Batman. Although that was in an entirely different ballpark.

Thor
    Participant

rkeaveney Wrote:

> You’re both… Wrong There’s at least almost 20
    > minutes of score in the film, and about that much
    > that never made the film. Many, many Elfman
    > highlights here — the siege on Santa’s workshop,
    > the “Humanitarian of The Year” cue (with an early
    > hint at Elfman’s SPIDER-MAN theme), and the finale
    > cue where “Calvin Speaks”. A very important entry
    > in Elfman’s filmography, as his next was BATMAN.

Yeah, I have all of that on the bootleg. However, I still stand by my opinion that the suite is representative (representative means that it REPRESENTS the score well by having all, or at least MOST of the musical highlights).

That said, I’d buy a commercial album in a heartbeat if it were released, even complete and chronological (which isn’t so bad when it’s that short).

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

If I’m not mistaken the bootleg is a SFX rip. There’s also another bootleg with decent sound and no SFX. Then there is another version that sounds EX-CELL-ENT. I don’t think that one has circulated at all ;)

Thor
    Participant

I have that first generation thing, in which only the chopped-up segments from the suite sound decent. Otherwise, it’s SFX and all. I’ll gladly use it as a coaster if and when a legit version comes out.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.