Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Elfman and Ledger Oscar Noms

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Dawg Man
    Participant

We’re all Elfman fans, but I’m hoping more for Ledger this year. Am I alone?

Natrebo
    Participant

Not that Ledger wasn’t good, he was great, but I’ll be pulling more for Robert Downey Jr.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Ledger was great, but dear god, his performance is over-rated. If he wins, it will no doubt prove my hypothenuse: If Ledger had lived, and his performance was in an unfamiliar movie, and with an unknown character, do you really think he’d get the same press? At least Mark Hamill never went overboard on nonsequitor, kooky, character fluxuations that were weird just for the sake for being weird. That said, I really do think Ledger was a great Joker. (Ha, ha.)

Go, Danny!

Monsterhead
    Participant

What strikes me is the absence of STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE from the best feature length doc category. That said, I would love to see Werner Herzog win the Oscar…

Thor
    Participant

Did that cancel itself out with the use of the existing SERANADA excerpts?

Monsterhead
    Participant

I mean the documentary itself, not the music.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Did that cancel itself out with the use of the existing SERANADA excerpts?

I don’t know… The Dark Knight was eligible and that movie reused thematic material. SOP used FAR less reworked music.

Anyway, SOP is a slightly better score than Milk. Not that that matters. I mean, *I* could have scored Milk and it’d still get a nomination.

I think Steve Bartek should accept Danny’s oscar, and then dedicate it to Shirley Walker, since Danny could care less about the award and hates the large crowds.

elfboy91
    Participant

Yeah… I’m not gonna root for Ledger… There’s no point.. He WILL win. You don’t really need to hope for him… (If he doesn’t, then I will laugh!)

So, you don’t really need to hope for him… It’s Elfman that needs it.. Not that he wants it… Or that there is a chance he will win… I loved MILK but… I don’t really feel optomistic for the score to go all the way!

Sorry about my pessimism… But… Oh well.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

It’ll probably be another year where they have cameras on all the other nominees and a stock photo of Danny to represent him… right?

gordonblu
    Participant

If the Oscars follow suit with the other awards shows, then Slumdog Millionaire will probably win best score.

There is a part of me that hopes Robert Downey Jr. wins for Tropic Thunder. He was the best part of that film hands down! Ledger was phenomenal, but I worry that they will reward him out of sympathy instead of for the acting job he did.

As for all of the other categories? I couldn’t care less. What they need is a “Blockbuster/Escapist Oscar” Ceremony. That one I would watch on the edge of my seat. Then I’d scream in rage because they’d award “The Incredible Hulk” or “Speed Racer” over “Hellboy II” or “Kung Fu Panda”.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

They have those shows — and they blow too. They’re called the People’s Choice Awards, MTV Awards, etc. etc.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Yup, and the people who vote on them are the same people who keep giving money to those stupid Friedberg/Seltzer “parody” movies.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

“Kung Fu Panda” was AWESOME!

elfboy91
    Participant

It’ll probably be another year where they have cameras on all the other nominees and a stock photo of Danny to represent him… right?

No.. I think he will be there… I think he’s a member of the Academy. So it wouldn’t be in good taste to not show up!.

gordonblu
    Participant

It is! It’s one of the very few non Pixar Computer Animated films to really blow me away!
    I’m hoping 9 will do the same.

elfboy91
    Participant

I didn’t know where to post this… but whatever… OSCARS finally posted this on Youtube.

He looks so happy when they call Rahman…

Torque
    Participant

That Newman’s clap.-)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.