Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Expanded Darkman from Lalaland!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    ddddeeee
    Participant

Announced at their Wonder Con Panel!

!

lonzoe
    Participant

Very exciting news! Since I don’t own the original 1990 soundtrack, which has been long out of print.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Awesome news. DARKMAN is one of my favorites, as the early 90s period my personal Elfman zenith. I already own the MCA CD and the Waxworx LP reissue (I don’t know if the MCA LP was ever issued in North America, but I could be wrong.)

Fingers crossed cues are not combined on the LLL album.

ddddeeee
    Participant

28th Jan! I love this month.

lonzoe
    Participant

Finally. 😀

ddddeeee
    Participant

Would love for some Raimi/Elfman liner notes. Though Raimi doesn’t seem to like to talk about this movie.

ddddeeee
    Participant
    Monsterhead
    Participant

Got mine yesterday. I decided to re-watch the movie on Monday night and it holds up great. I never noticed some of the optical effects before — like the split screen shot of the dock in front of Peyton’s building on the bottom third of the frame. It was fun seeing some of these LA locations again with adult eyes.
    Very excited to dive into all this unreleased music.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Odd that the liner notes don’t mention Sheffer’s involvement.

This is a dream release – it sounds so good, like it was recorded only a few years ago.

I need a Nightbreed release as good as this one.

lonzoe
    Participant

‘Darkman’ Turns 30: Liam Neeson, Frances McDormand and More Remember the Arduous Making of Sam Raimi’s Influential Superhero Film
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/darkman-turns-30-liam-neeson-frances-mcdormand-and-more-remember-the-arduous-making-of-sam-raimis-influential-superhero-film

Elfman also shares how he felt about the studios treatment of Raimi and the film during post production of Darkman. Now it make sense why Raimi rarely talks about this movie in interviews and why he didn’t participate in any of the special features on the Shout! Factory release of Darkman a couple of years ago. He never had final cut of the movie, which was originally two hours long. After this article I wonder if there is going to be a push or movement for a Raimi cut of Darkman now. Shout! Factory released a director’s cut and a Cabal cut of Clive Barker’s Nightbreed a few years ago. Zack Snyder is getting and completing his cut of Justice League soon. David Ayer and some fans are begging for the release of his original cut of Suicide Squad. And even some Batman fans are begging for Schumacher’s assembly cut of Batman Forever to be released. As much as I’m a fan the final cut of Darkman I’m still curious about Raimi original cut of the film. Hopefully someday it’ll be released because his cut is supposedly even weirder than the final cut.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Is it not a bit weird that there was a last minute edit and that the score fits it perfectly? As far as I can remember, there are no repurpuposed cues, it’s completely in sync with the visuals and the score plays exactly as it does in the Lalaland release.

I love the movie and the idea that there was an even weirder version is pretty wild.

>Is it not a bit weird that there was a last minute edit and that the score fits it perfectly? As far as I can >remember, there are no repurpuposed cues, it’s completely in sync with the visuals and the score plays > exactly as it does in the Lalaland release.

It’s not necessarily a re-edit, but a re-adding. It’s very likely that those scenes that were restored already had music/sound included. Actually, it’s almost certain that they did. You can’t simply just re-edit a movie, especially in those pre-digital days. Audio is very important to a movie and handled by a separate department. Raimi & Friends didn’t involve others in their sneaky last minute re-touching. Whatever elements they re-introduced into the movie had to have been completed scenes.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Rewatched the movie. Still such a fun, wild time.

The film versions of some cues are different than the takes in the expanded edition. Namely the opening cue and the ‘rage’ scene before Darkman kills Ted Raimi.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.