Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Fifty Shades of Grey

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 106 total)
  • Author
    ddddeeee
    Participant
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I won’t have to be dragged to this now!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh for crying out loud. Now I actually have to go see that thing?

DannyBiker
    Participant

Dear God…

Thor
    Participant

Very interesting assignment, even though I have no connection to the book (beyond all the hooplah it’s created in the media).

A-train Bass
    Participant

Hi Danny

A-train here, I wanted to contact you. I live in Vancouver a musician as you I played with a band called the Payolas long ago. Since then I’ve been writing and composing with various artist in the states and here in Vancouver. I wrote a song that I wanted you to hear, it may be something that will work really well with ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’. I contacted a director friend of mind that is also the producer of the show called ‘Continuum’ here in Vancouver. He felt you would be the best person to hear this.
    alex@atrainbass.com

Cheers!

bookbinder3
    Participant

I’m afraid Danny Elfman does not visit this site (that we are aware of) and so will not receive your message through here. You would have more luck trying to contact him (or, more likely, his representatives) through his agent here:

http://www.kraft-engel.com/contact/

Having said that, you may be better off attempting to contact the films producers directly. Danny is responsible only for his compositions within the film, not all other music it might contain. Good luck.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Trailer

boingomusic
    Participant

Beyonce?!?? Really?!?!!!! And her name right after the title ?!?? Oh god…

I can see why they hired Danny Elfman. 1993’s Sommersby is a good example of what we may get, except more modern and with Elfman’s current style. However, I am more intrigued by the erotic scenes. Danny Elfman has never written anything like that. He has also never scored a movie that’s borderline NC-17. This is exciting to be honest. Danny Elfman is exploring a new territory and I can’t wait to hear what he creates.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Yeah I’m really excited about it for the same reasons. I’m imagining a more romantic Next Three Days but I’m really not sure.

No. I think it’ll be a contemporary Sommersby. In that movie, Jodie Foster discovers that her husband is an impostor so Danny Elfman wrote a score that combines romance with mystery. That style of music fits perfectly for Fifty Shades Of Grey because it’s the story of a woman who falls in love with a guy who’s into “dirty s-e-x.” Now what will be interesting to hear is how Elfman tackles the erotic scenes. He has never written music like that. The closest, that I can think of, is the fetish-y Catwoman stuff in Batman Returns but that’s a different beast.

ddddeeee
    Participant

I can’t imagine the score being anything like Sommersby. This is very contemporary, and modern while Sommersby was a very old fashioned, period piece.

Lambegue
    Participant

It could be really interesting, as a new territory for Elfman. I expect something a bit more in the spirit of what he did for “Milk”, or some other Van Sant movies…

DannyBiker
    Participant

I’m getting a Simpsons feel out of this…

Lambegue Wrote:

> I expect something a bit more in the
    > spirit of what he did for “Milk”, or some other
    > Van Sant movies…

The Van Sant style wouldn’t make sense for the erotic scenes.

dr.giggles
    Participant

I’ll obviously buy the album but defiantly skip the movie. I thought the film would be aweful but this looks unbearable!

Thor
    Participant

Theme-wise, he’s explored this territory with HEARTBREAKERS (although he only wrote the theme) and FREEWAY. But not quite like this, for sure.

Heartbreakers and Freeway? You’re way off. Dolores Claiborne is a better indication:

Lambegue
    Participant

I think Thor was speaking about the theme of sexuality, not about the style of the music. Well, the theme is present in Dolores Claiborne, in a way, but it’s more about abuse and incest…

elfboy91
    Participant

Yah… Speaking of DOLORES… The book is super cool. Written as a giant monologue. Definitely worth a read. Really crazy different from the movie but I still love both.

Haven’t read FIFTY SHADES and I don’t plan to.

Lambegue
    Participant

Yes I agree it’s a wonderful novel.

ddddeeee
    Participant

DannyBiker
    Participant
    Lambegue
    Participant

That’s just a picture, but I’m interested in the possibilities of the instruments shown…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 106 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.