Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Hitchcock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    ddddeeee
    Participant

Now it’s official.

“Up next for Elfman is Sam Raimi’s Oz: The Great and Powerful, Chris Wedge’s animated film Epic, Gus Van Sant’s Promised Land and Sasch Gervasi’s Hitchcock.”

Danny Elfman

DannyBiker
    Participant

It’s gonna be a very busy winter for him. I think that Frankenweenie is completed, right ? That leaves Promised Land, Hitchcock & Oz in about 5 months time and Epic later. If one of these projects has a schedule issue, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him drop one of them.

Edit : And what about “Silver Linings Playbook” ? That’s set to be released in February..so unless it’s a very minimal contribution, it’s gonna tough to pack all those projects in such a little amount of time.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Frankenweenie was recorded in the beginning of June, Silver Linings Playbook has been finished for a while and according to a poster on this site he’s done with Promised Land too.

DannyBiker
    Participant

So Hitchcock is getting an earlier than expected release, November 23 :
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58469

Don’t see how Elfman couldn’t get an Oscar nomination (possibly two ?) this year…

Monsterhead
    Participant

The film will be opening the AFI Film Fest in LA:

http://www.hitfix.com/awards-campaign/hitchcock-to-open-afi-film-festival

ddddeeee
    Participant

An album is being released on the 27th of November according to Amazon.com

Lucius
    Participant

And here is the trailer. I think it looks great.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/hitchcock/

Lucius

Lucius
    Participant

Talked to the music supervisor for that trailer and except for the next to last music cue (which was “Iron” by Windkid) a lot of the music from the trailer is from Elfman’s score.

Lucius

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I thought that drum riff sounded familiar!

Monsterhead
    Participant

That trailer was thoroughly exciting. As much as I loved DARK SHADOWS and FRANKENWEENIE, I’m most interested in Elfman’s non-Burton stuff this year and this may be the best looking one. I cannot wait to hear what wicked Herrmann-esuqe stuff he comes up with.

dr.giggles
    Participant

Now amazon has a December 4th release date?

ddddeeee
    Participant

Premiered last night. Early word is good but not glowing. Elfman’s getting a lot of notices in reviews, described as “playful” and “jaunty”.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Cover art on Amazon.

ddddeeee
    Participant

1. Logos
    2. Theme from “Hitchcock”
    3. The Premiere
    4. Paramount / Out the Gate
    5. Mommy Dearest
    6. In Bed
    7. Impulses
    8. The Censor
    9. The Swim
    10. Peeping
    11. Sacrifices
    12. Walk With Hitch
    13. Celery
    14. Telephone
    15. Suspicion
    16. Explosion
    17. Selling Psycho
    18. Fantasy Smashed
    19. The Sand
    20. It’s A Wrap
    21. Busted
    22. Saving The House
    23. Finally
    24. Home At Last
    25. End Credit#1
    26. End Credit#2
    27. Funeral March for a Marionette

‘Hitchcock’ Soundtrack Details

bookbinder3
    Participant

Awesome tracklist. This was to be on my christmas list but this might be too good to wait for. Can’t wait.

Natrebo
    Participant

I wonder if Elfman rearranged “Funeral March for a Marionette” on track 27, if they used Bernard Herrmann’s multi-bassoon version, or if they went with the original Gounod arrangment?

Nat

DannyBiker
    Participant

You can discover a suite of the score in this podcast : http://www.timburden.com/movie-magic.aspx

At 43:00.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Love it!

bookbinder3
    Participant

Second the love. Really looking forward to this.

ddddeeee
    Participant
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Official press blurb:

ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK OF “HITCHCOCK”
    WITH MUSIC BY DANNY ELFMAN AVAILABLE DECEMBER 4, 2012

Fox Searchlight Pictures Releases HITCHCOCK in select theatres November 23, 2012

Sony Music is proud to announce the release of Danny Elfman’s Original Motion Picture Soundtrack recording of HITCHCOCK on December 4, 2012. The film is a love story about one of the most influential filmmakers of the last century, Alfred Hitchcock, and his wife and partner Alma Reville. It takes place during the making of Hitchcock’s seminal movie PSYCHO, widely regarded as one of the greatest films ever made and the subject of Stephen Rebello’s highly praised book Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho, on which the film HITCHCOCK is based. HITCHCOCK opens in select theatres November 23.

Director Sacha Gervasi has brought together a brilliant group of actors, including Academy Award winner Anthony Hopkins in the role of Alfred Hitchcock, Academy Award winner Helen Mirren as his wife Alma Reville, Academy Award and Golden Globe nominee Toni Collette as Hitchcock’s assistant Peggy Robertson, and for the actors who took the lead roles in PSYCHO, Scarlett Johansson as Janet Leigh, Jessica Biel as Vera Miles and James D’Arcy as Anthony Perkins. This is the directorial debut in a feature film for the multi-talented screenwriter, journalist and director Gervasi, who is known for his Independent Spirit Award-winning documentary Anvil: The Story of Anvil about the Canadian heavy metal band (The Times: “possibly the greatest film yet made about rock and roll”), and also as the screenwriter of Steven Spielberg’s THE TERMINAL.

The soundtrack is by Danny Elfman, four-time Oscar® nominee who has established himself as one of the most versatile and accomplished film composers in the industry. He has collaborated with such directors as Tim Burton, Gus Van Sant, Sam Raimi, Paul Haggis, Ang Lee, Rob Marshall, Guillermo del Toro, Brian De Palma, Peter Jackson and David O. Russell. Beginning with his first score on Tim Burton’s PEE-WEE’S BIG ADVENTURE, Elfman has scored a broad range of films, including: MILK (Oscar nominated), GOOD WILL HUNTING (Oscar nominated), BIG FISH (Oscar nominated), MEN IN BLACK (Oscar nominated), EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, WANTED, CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE, PLANET OF THE APES, A SIMPLE PLAN, TO DIE FOR, SPIDERMAN (1 & 2), BATMAN, DOLORES CLAIBORNE, SOMMERSBY, CHICAGO, DICK TRACY, THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS and ALICE IN WONDERLAND. Most recently he provided the music for Gus Van Sant’s PROMISED LAND, Tim Burton’s FRANKENWEENIE and David O’ Russell’s SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK. Up next for Elfman is Sam Raimi’s OZ: THE GREAT AND POWERFUL.

The music for the shower scene of PSYCHO, written by Bernard Herrmann, is one of the most famous compositions in movie history. Hitchcock had wanted this scene without music, but was so pleased with the effect of screeching violins, violas, and cellos that he later stated that “33% of the effect of PSYCHO was due to the music.” Herrmann’s original score was adapted by Danny Elfman in 1998 when Gus Van Sant directed a remake – connections that now come full circle with the choice of Elfman as composer for HITCHCOCK. With the release of this soundtrack by Sony Music, fans of the great director Hitchcock and lovers of movie music will be able to enjoy for themselves the quality of Elfman’s work.

9fingeredElf
    Participant

Itunes has the track listing and you can preview the songs.

Hitchcock (Original Motion Pictue Soundtrack)

elfboy91
    Participant

Got a screening last night.

The score was pretty standard. Nothing too special here for me. A really good score, not a great one.

Very charming film. Very fun for Hitchcock lovers wich I’m sure all of you are…

I’ll probably download the score on iTunes.

boingomusic
    Participant

I just got the cd, and this is by far the BEST ELFMAN SCORE in 2012 in my opinion.
    I was kind of worried after hearing the samples and reading elfboy91’s reaction to the score… And I thought I’d be disappointed… But it really isn’t the case.

The score is a huge come back to Elfman’s late 80’s and early 90’s scores. It has that “Nightbreed” vibe that I love.
    It’s dark and romantic. The orchestration is very similar to Edward Scissorhands, Nightbreed or even Nightmare Before Christmas. It’s a very nice hommage to Bernard Herrmann, and it’s and homage to Elfman’s original style ;-)

The main theme is very reminiscent of one of Edward Scissorhand’s musical phrases.

I think it’s just the PERFECT DARK HOLIDAY SCORE, and I had not heard anything like this for years!

I can’t wait to hear what you guys think about it.

elfboy91
    Participant

I’m glad you like it! Maybe I’ll give it another listen without the film. :)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.