Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion New composition. Want to hear it?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Hey, everyone! I hope Ryan doesn’t mind as I know he doesn’t like any sort of self-promotion on this board, but I thought you all might like to hear my new composition. I guess it is sort of relevent because a lot of parts in this are inspired by Elfman, and particularly his Red Dragon score. I’ve been listening to that score a lot lately. Anyway…

You’ll have to copy and paste the link in order for it to work: http://www.angelfire.com/musicals/nigelsimmons/InsaneAngelandtheOneSheHarrowsMovement3.mp3

Thanks for listening!

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Very interesting. It’s like Danny Elfman mixed with Klaus Badelt. Good stuff, keep em coming!

Mr. Dantz
    Participant
    rex
    Participant

Great Stuff!

What did you use to create your composition? (hardware/software)

rex

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Thanks! I used Cakewalk Sonar for the sequencer and the Vienna Symphonic library (mostly) for the samples.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Wow, sounds fantastic. I like the slow build and release in the first movement. Samples sound great too. I am jealous of your toys :)

Ryan

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Thanks, Ryan!! :)

boingomusic
    Participant

My dear Nigel.

Once again,
    We’re all very impressed by your compostion… But one questions is still popping in my mind : WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE WITH US ????

You should be out there, composing for huge great movies. You’re so young and talented, man. I downloaded all your compositions, and I’m listening to it all the time!!! I specially like “Coming of the Banshee” and “Devil’s candyshop”…
    Please, do something with your talent. Don’t wait for someone to come to you!!!
    I’m composing since I’m 12 years old. I did a lot of concert works, but never tried hard enough to get into the buisness. Now I’m 25, and haven’t done anything with my music…

You should do something!!! Your music is fantastic.

Thanks anyway, for sharing your music with us. We’re lucky.

Eric

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Wow, thanks a lot Eric. No matter what happens, I will ALWAYS be here with you! :) I will always be a fan of film music, especially Elfman’s. It’s not like I’m some sort of elitist. In fact, I’m just the opposite, and I find I put myself down more than anything. I guess it’s a complex I got while growing up. Anyway, I will definitely try to do SOMETHING with my music, but I hear it takes luck more than anything to break into the business, and a lot of great composers are working at McDonald’s because of it. It’s a scary thing, but I’ll definitely try.

Again, thanks for all of your comments. They mean SO much to me!

Nin_Cherry
    Participant

Good stuff, Mister Dantz. :)

ooshmaster
    Participant

Wait a second. That was’nt a real orchestra?

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

No. :) The samples do sound pretty darn realistic, though, don’t they?

Nin_Cherry
    Participant

ooshmaster Wrote:

> Wait a second. That was’nt a real orchestra?

If you’re not sure – the reverb gives it away… ;)

ooshmaster
    Participant

Wait. This Vienna Symphonic library thing cost how much?

Nin_Cherry
    Participant
    Mr. Dantz
    Participant

That’s the complete orchestral package, though. Very expensive, yes, but the samples simply blow me away.

Knight
    Participant

lol, it’s always good to put yourself down, makes you strive to be more (no matter how good you are).

And as for the luck part, that is a bunch of crap. Start calling up every production house you can find (or sending e-mails), and you will find SOMEONE who needs a composer (unless you live in LA, in that case call ones that are out of state). Being a composer is more like being a door to door salesman (at first), and you are the product. Keep that in mind. You will not get paid a whole hell of alot at first but if you keep on pumping out good music that you will get higher pay fairly quickly (and if they don’t want to give you more money, drop the client).

Don’t send out demo CDs though, no one listens to them. It’s all about the relationship, and if you seem like a good guy over the phone, or through e-mail, they will request a demo CD (or website). Oh, and don’t work for free, but I think I have seen you over at NSS so you probably already read that thread.

In any case, get to it. No time is better than now. If at any point you doubt yourself, just pop in the latest B class horror movie, listen to the score, and that should cheer you up :D. Good work, and good luck,

Knight (Elfman’s composer advise: masturbate three times a day :) )

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Hahah! Thanks, Knight! I will definitely keep that in mind. But I thought Elfman’s advice was to masturbate 5 times a day! I REALLY don’t think I could keep up with that. :D

Knight
    Participant

5?!? Um…wow. :D

But seriously, good luck on this. Like I said, you don’t need luck but hey, well wishers are always a good booster. Start racking in those small credits and things will happen for you, just gotta work your way up :) .

Knight (Who will someday write something like “There are bugs in your butt” in a serious choral piece, just for fun :D )

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.