Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Percussion Concerto for Colin Currie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    ddddeeee
    Participant

26th March 2021 in London. Commissioned by The London Philharmonic Orchestra.

https://www.lpo.org.uk/whats-on-and-tickets/5605-danny-elfman-s-percussion-concerto.html

ddddeeee
    Participant

Tickets on sale now. Got mine booked.

Anyone want to recommend any percussion concertos? I own the Glass one and like it, but I’m really struggling to get into any others.

ddddeeee
    Participant

I was hoping this would be delayed, but the event has been cancelled.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Renowned percussionist Colin Currie will take the stage along with an impressive battery of instruments – some specially commissioned by him for the piece – in Elfman’s new Percussion Concerto on March 25 at London’s Royal Festival Hall. Ludwig Wicki will conduct the London Philharmonic Orchestra, who jointly commissioned the piece with Soka Performing Arts Center at Soka University. The latter stages the US premiere next month.

The Concerto is cast in four movements – Triangle; D.S.C.H; Down; Syncopated – and promises real spectacle across its 25-minute runtime. In addition to the soloist’s extensive collection of instruments – the score lists 12, including an assortment of pots and pans and a metal ‘gizmo’ – five orchestral percussionists will add to the excitement.

https://www.fabermusic.com/news/two-world-premieres-from-danny-elfman14032022-1

Going to see this next week.

ddddeeee
    Participant

This was so good. There were no brass or woodwinds – just a few extra percussionists and tje string section. The last movement is absolutely relentless.

The response was very, very warm and there was an enthusiastic standing ovation at the end. Danny was there (sat three rows ahead of me) and I caught he and Currie being giddy together in the hall when the concerto had finished.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Alright, bring on the recording on CD!

ddddeeee
    Participant

US premiere tomorrow.

I really want to see this again.

9fingeredElf
    Participant

Listen to samples of Danny’s Percussion Quartet. If you like what you hear then you can buy the CD. https://www.cedillerecords.org/albums/perspectives/?fbclid=IwAR1yGjem5B0MmsQ-fozDgxHtGrWNKwjZDWdtU728_y8zvOjw0nmJi_33F7s

• This reply was modified 1 year, 12 months ago by 9fingeredElf.
    ddddeeee
    Participant
    ddddeeee
    Participant

The percussion concerto was recorded in August.

Still dreaming – interview with Colin Currie

The violin concerto was released the week after Dumbo. The percussion quartet was released the week after Doctor Strange 2. I think they plan these so that Elfman can do promo for both/capitialise on the hype from a big score release.

Maybe it’ll be released around Beetlejuice 2?

ddddeeee
    Participant

The opening movement of Elfman’s percussion concerto was uploaded to Youtube 9 hours ago, but it’s not available yet. This is presumably following the release pattern for his violin concerto which uploaded the third movement as a ‘promo’ track of sorts.

Sony Classical will be releasing the album, which also features Wunderkammer.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Coming May 17th.

ddddeeee
    Participant

CD!

ddddeeee
    Participant

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.