Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Thematic foreshadowing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    DannyBiker
    Participant

We all know about the first measures of the Mars Attacks! theme serving as a basic rhythmic in the beginning of Batman Return’s Main Title.

However, I was listening to Batman recently and was shocked to here a hint of the Edward Scissorhands theme in Attack of the Batwing. If you listen to the track (from the original score release, it’s easier for common reference), at the 00:56 mark, you can hear the brass section play the beginning of the main Edward theme. It’s in a slightly different tempo of course but it’s there…

Any similar finding on your side ?

Lambegue
    Participant

I don’t know if it’s only me, but I hear some hints of the “Mars Attacks” main titles in the track “Double Durante” from Darkman.

I hear a lot of Nightmare Before Christmas in Batman Returns. But I guess that’s a different story.

bookbinder3
    Participant

I assume you all know of the links between Black Beauty and Alice in Wonderland, but I don’t see it spoken about much or analysed in any depth. The harp baseline in the Black Beauty Main Title becomes that rolling cello figure that plays under “Oh Alice dear where have you been?” I’ve seen people claim that those opening choir chords at the beginning of Alice’s Theme were nicked from Zimmer at the end of Pirates 2, but actually that again is extracted from the harp baseline from Black Beauty. Only one note changes as the harp part steps up as the violin/tin whistle theme repeats at the beginning, the same three ascending notes that become the choir part. Obviously, the main Black Beauty/Alice themes start on the same note, progress up to the same second note, and descend in a similar way. I’m probably not explaining any of this very well, but I learn a lot about Danny’s music by picking parts out on the piano. I should make a video.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

bookbinder, you’re not wrong. :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.