Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion A new name in filmmusic (this is off-topic, but anyway…)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Just wanted to tell you that I am excited (and I know I will be flamed for this!) because of the news saying that John Williams will be replaced by Jarvis Cocker in the score of the new Harry Potter movie. Well, I love John Williams’ music, but it happens that Jarvis Cocker is simply one of the best composers out there and deserves a chance to finally be known worldwide! Americans may not know him well, since he is a kind of cult hero in Europe: he’s the leading man in the wonderful british band Pulp. Not only the man writes incredible pop songs with a dark and twisted sense of humor, but he frequently features amazing orchestrations in his songs. It’s great to see talented composers coming from pop and rock music (Cocker is one of them; the other is Joby Talbot, from the wonderful british band The Divine Comedy, who’s providing the score to Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy) doing scores to big films. Their background reminds me of Danny Elfman (this is just to be back on-topic… :)). These are exciting times for film music!

Anonymous

I was hoping Jarvis Cocker was doing the next Harry Potter just so I could laugh when the score turns out to be garbage. Alas Patrick Doyle is doing the next Harry Potter.

sandyclaws
    Participant

I had read somewhere that Patrick Doyle is composing the music and Jarvis Cocker is performing a song in the movie.

Anonymous

jarvis cocker couldnt write an orchestral score to save his life. and his op songs are just brit pop poo

Anonymous

I had the feeling I’d get this kind of reaction when mentioning the name of Jarvis Cocker here… :-( So, because he’s british and because he writes pop songs, he’s got the “britpop” stamp all over him. Nice. Well, for those without prejudice, check out at least the songs “This is Hardcore” and “Help the Aged”. The man is truly a genius. Patrick Doyle will certainly do a predictable, safe, cozy job…

Anonymous

>Patrick Doyle will certainly do a predictable, safe, cozy job…

Did you really think, with a franchise as big as Harry Potter, they want anything else?

Just like the new Batman movie: No David Julyian here (which would be very interesting), but Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard. Because they know what they’ll get.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Oh boy, there goes the Potter franchise. Not that I have anything against Patrick Doyle, he’s not bad at all, but the Harry Potter theme is distinct and changing it just rips apart the whole thing. Even the apponitment of Alfonso Cuaron as director of Prisoner of Azkaban caused me to lose respect for the movies. Maybe this new score will be an adaptation? If they were smart, they would have had William Ross take over scoring scoring duties. I liked his work on Chamber of Secrets.

Katie
    Participant

I will be working on a Harry Potter movie in a few months . . . I wanted this one to be special :-(

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.