Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Bartek orchestrator for Pirates Of The Carribean 3 ?!?!?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    boingomusic
    Participant

I haven’t seen or heard the Pirates Of The Carribean cd yet, but Filmtracks lists Steve Bartek as one of the orchestrators (Boingo’s guitar player, producer, and of course, Elfman’s good friend and orchestrator)…

Am I the only one to be surprised to see him attached to a Media Ventures bombastic heartless score like that?

http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/pirates_caribbean3.html

-Eric

gaba
    Participant

I haven’t heard the third installment of the Pirates score, but I have to say the second part pretty much worked. It certainly was an improvement over the cringe-inducing Badelt score (my humble opinion and my bleeding ears ;-)). So… I don’t know about ‘heartless’. But even if so, it certainly won’t hurt if a brilliant orchestrator puts some magic into it, will it? Working on something is not mainly endorsing it the way it is , but rather making it better.
    So.. yay. I guess. If it’s true.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Steve Bartek also worked on a handful of Hans Zimmer’s scores in the late 80s early 90s.

An alternate review… http://www.cinemusic.net/2007/05/23/pirates-of-the-caribbean-at-worlds-end/

Ryan

gaba
    Participant

I watched the film yesterday, and I have the same thing to say I usually have when it comes to Zimmer: I ocassionally liked his ‘smaller’ moments – I liked the more subdued or sligtly comic themes. Some were incredibly enjoyable, and in a movie as diverse (over-loaded, even) as the third part of Pirates, he had amount of moods and colours to pick from.
    BUT
    … once the man goes ballistic it’s just tireless tutti bombast without end. A fifteen minute fortissimo is enough to wear me out and the amount of pathos per sqare-inch is just slightly too much for me. I understand that we’re talking about a huge action movie, it “goes up to eleven”, and so does the score – but I just get a feeling that once Zimmer gets going he doesn’t differentiate at all – it’s just ALL humongous, heavy and it gets monotonous.

I recommend seeing the film, definitely. It’s really ‘busy’ and a lot is crammed into it, even plot-wise, but I thought it was the funniest of the three. I could have done with a little more Stellan Skarsgard ;-) – but it was packed with great performances either way. Except for the leads *sigh* . I kept imagining someone who actually CAN act, in one part in particular. :-/

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I just saw the movie today, and while I thought the plot was just too much to handle in one gigantic sitting, I thought it had a terrific last hour that made the buildup worth watching. The whole movie was visually stunning, and that’s pretty much why these movies are so great: amazing effects, gorgeous cinematography, and really confident directing. I actually really liked the direction Zimmer went with the score. It was very different from the first two movies, but it matched the grandiose, epic finale. The moments when the “Hoist the Colors” theme kicked in during battle were really rousing, and the rest of the score at times veered from his typical style in favor of a more traditional sound that we may have heard from Alan Silvestri’s original score for the first movie. I’m listening to the score on its own right now, and while I don’t care for the Singapore elements or the really weird stuff, I’m really enjoying the big, epic tracks. I’m actually a little sad right now, because while I got more closure and satisfaction from this trilogy than the “Spider-Man” finale, I know that there aren’t going to be any more movies like these. Sure, there are more likely than not going to be more sequels with the best characters (Jack Sparrow, Barbossa), but I’ve heard that Gore Verbinski never wants to see another pirate ship again, and it will be extremely difficult for anyone else to fill his shoes. I feel lucky that we had such a likable set of movies that could have been total disasters but proved to be so damn entertaining.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I love the PIRATES 3 score. In fact it’s my favourite of 2007 so far!

Ryan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.