Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion ‘Batman’ – almost 20 years, reflections, etc.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Hi Folks, I’ve been redoing the Elfman videos for the site (since YouTube turfed my account) and decided, for some late night viewing, to re-watch all of the special features on the BATMAN and BATMAN RETURNS DVDs.

Watching the BATMAN stuff I was continually amazed, anxious and excited by the amount of unreleased and alternate mixed music that plays underneath all of the talking heads, footage and photos. There’s the spinning newspaper headline cue, the Joker commercial source music, alternate mixes of “Descent Into Mystery”, “Roof Fight” and “First Confrontation”. The list goes on and on.

I know there has been talk in the past about 2009 being the 20 year anniversary of BATMAN and how it would be appropriate for a definitive soundtrack presentation, but I think there is truly more to the picture than at first glance. If someone is going to assemble such a disc, they really need to do their research and cast a wider net.

Has anyone else watched these special features and been agog at the music?

All I want is the music when Batman crashed into the art museum/restaurant to save Vicki Vale. And the music you hear when we first see the Batwing.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

They use the first half of “Batman To The Rescue” (crashing through the skylight) in the special features as well. Technically that cue is not called “Batman To The Rescue”, but since Batman is, well, coming to the rescue and the cue comes immediately before “Batman To The Rescue”, you could technically say they are part of the same piece.

Monsterhead
    Participant

What kind of research and how much wider should the net be? If you could have the finished piece, resting in your hands, what would it contain?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Well I have to compile that list. Plus why would I do all the work for someone? I want in on the project! ;)

Monsterhead
    Participant

Sounds like you’ve got some calls to make…

Spidey-Fan
    Participant

It should include the entire score, in chronological order.

Alternates would be nice, but since the complete score runs just near 75 minutes (there’s about 20 minutes of unreleased music in the film, plus the 55 minutes on the album), I doubt the powers-that-be would shell out the $ for an extra disc just dedicated to some alternative cues. You never know though.

BATMAN RETURNS, however, would require 2 CDs and IMHO, needs a rerelease even more. There’s lots of great unreleased music, plus the score is in desperate need of a remix and remastering.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed for 2009.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.