Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion ‘Batman’ on the big screen

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

If you live in the L.A. area, that is…!

Sun, Mon and Tue, March 1-3 at the New Beverly Cinema: a double bill of BATMAN (1989) & SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE (1978).

SUPERMAN will be presented in the slightly longer “Special Edition” version first made available in 2001.

* Batman:
    o Sun: 4:30 only; Mon/Tue: 7:30

* Superman:
    o Sun: 7:00 only; Mon/Tue: 9:55

http://www.newbevcinema.com/

Nick Parker
    Participant

Sometimes I wish that I lived one state closer to the west. A film with a great Danny Elfman score and a film with a great John Williams score…by the way is “Superman:The Movie” good?

Yes, it’s very good.

Monsterhead
    Participant

I live just down the street from The New Bev. I love going there, but the crowd of regulars suck. I was once panhandled by a squatter that lives behind the theater while he was standing in line to buy tickets…

Ahhhhh… I love L.A.

elfboy91
    Participant

That sucks!!
    Well us Texas folks have the Alamo Draft House!.. I think there are a few around the SW but it started here. We get to see some older films sometimes.. last year I saw Psycho(1960) and it was fraking awesome!.. maybe they’ll play Batman someday… probably when I’m in college though!
    I’m still jealous!

Nick Parker
    Participant

I live in a very densly populated are know to some as “Reno”, so we do not get those kind of special theaters, very unfortunately.

elfboy91
    Participant

Well Austin is an awesome place to film movies.. they’ve done a lot of films here(most recently the Friday the 13th remake I think.. boo!)… and they have The Austin Film Festival and South by Southwest here…. so it’s a really great place for seeing movies. Sucks if you can’t get a lot of cool stuff where you are!

gordonblu
    Participant

Superman: the Movie is required viewing if you are a comic book fan or a comic book movie fan. That being said, I think Batman was put together a little better than Superman: the Movie, because the story flows better. In Superman you have three sections, the first section is interesting but univolving, the second section is a little more involving, but it is the third section when you’re actually in Metropolis that the movie, in my opinion, really gets good. In Batman, you’re pulled in right away and the movie never lets go.

Nick Parker
    Participant

Hm, I am not really either, and I have never been fond of Superman, but I will still see it as it seems to be very lauded.

elfboy91
    Participant

Well…. Superman came with the origin story.. Batman came with an origin montage.. so… They’re a bit different. But yeah I agree, Batman doesn’t let go.. It’s really awesome!

gordonblu
    Participant

I wasn’t trying to imply that they were similar, just that Batman was much more economical with its story, while Superman, perhaps intentionally, was allowed to ramble through the origin. I think the only reason Krypton takes so long is because of Marlon Brando, He was the biggest name in the cast and they wanted to capitalize on that, but I think it hurts the film.

elfboy91
    Participant

Well… Being a huge Brando fan myself(On the Waterfront is like my favorite movie), I don’t think it took away anything at all… sure they sold him to death but he wasn’t a big part… and he was FANTASTIC in that role… I think Bryan Singer said(and I agree thoroughly), “its one of his best performances in the latter part of his career”
    Krypton did take a while but I thought it was really beautiful and fraking awesome! When I heard that music for the first time when the camera zooms in on the planet I got chills.

But overall you are totally right!

Natrebo
    Participant

Superman is about an alien being sent as a “savior” to humanity, and Superman having to deal with his alien origin and duty compared to his human upbringing and personal needs – The first half is necessary in establishing that, and John Williams’ music doesn’t hurt! :)

gordonblu
    Participant

I wasn’t trying to say that Brando was a bad choice. I thought he was very good. And I recgnize how the beginning was to set up the whole savior motif, but to me it’s one of those cases where it’s visually or intellectually interesting, but kind of uninvolving. It’s like Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Very interesting but kind of static at the same time.

elfboy91
    Participant

Ha… Lets go through all major motion pictures of the 70s and 80s shall we…

gordonblu
    Participant

I don’t mean to be dragging out other franchises. I just have a hard time articulating what I mean and The opening reminded me of the first Star Trek. I don’t want to have a lengthy discourse on the Star Trek films now though.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.