Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Batman Returns Limited Edition 2cd from LaLaLand Records

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    lonzoe
    Participant

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=73960&forumID=1&archive=0

They also have three other reissues for their Black Friday sale. I know I already preordered the Burton /Elfman Box but this reissue looks like it has a lot more extra music than the Burton /Elfman Box version for Batman Returns.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Good news but as expected, there is far less to look forward to as the original soundtrack was already quite complete. Hope some work has been done on the quality…

johnmullin
    Participant

According to Dan Goldwasser, they got some incredible sounding 3 track masters from WB for this release. It’s the exact opposite of LLL’s BATMAN earlier this year, for which the elements were in pretty rough shape, and had to come from a variety of sources.

As for the expanded content, the OST was about 65 minutes while score in the film is closer to 90. Plus there are a lot of Alts. I’m so down for this!

elfboy91
    Participant

YES!! Make my Christmas!! And Home Alone too!!! So pumped!

bookbinder3
    Participant

The first disk is film mix/version is it? Ok. Not quite as expanded as Batman but then yes, the original album was pretty complete. The not split up tracks is nice. No part 1 part 2 nonsense.

Thor
    Participant

I actually think the existing soundtrack is MORE than long enough. In fact, it wears out its welcome after a while (especially the action stuff). So I’m definitely not down for this.

D-Bo
    Participant

“Not down” for more Elfman?! Crazy talk! ;-)

Nah, I see your point, but any more of his material I can get my hands on is a “win” for me, so I’m pretty sure I’ll be purchasing this.

Thor
    Participant

Well, you know what they say…more isn’t always better! :)

I think this score would work wonderfully in a 40-50 minute presentation.

lonzoe
    Participant

Thor Wrote:

> Well, you know what they say…more isn’t always
    > better!
    >
    > I think this score would work wonderfully in a
    > 40-50 minute presentation.

That would just make me hungry for more especially with this score, but that’s just me.

I don’t think the Batman Returns album has too much music. It’s just not presented properly. For some reason, there’s too much seperation between the character and action cues. So, it doesn’t flow as well as the Batman album where it goes back and forth between action and moody-dramatic music. All my Danny Elfman scores have been uploaded to an MP3 player so I play around with the order of things so things like this wouldn’t bother me anymore.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

As for the expanded content, the OST was about 65 minutes while score in the film is closer to 90. Plus there are a lot of Alts. I’m so down for this!

Indeed. I appreciate the effort that went into this one. Looks great!

bookbinder3
    Participant

I’m excited to have the whole score presented as a score, not suites. Not as many new alternates as I would like, most of them are album versions, but hey.

Maybe better sound quality as well? Original album was fine obviously, but LLL said they got really good sources from WB.

lonzoe
    Participant
    Thor
    Participant

That’s a good point, DIM. It might have sustained its running time better if it had been arranged better.

Natrebo
    Participant

Listening to the score right now – just got it in today, and I have to say that there was A WHOLE HELL OF A LOT of great music left off even with the length of the original… with this also being my favorite score, it’s almost like listening to this score with new ears!

Lucius
    Participant

I have to agree. I’m a sucker for the Penguin theme (prolly one of my favorites of Danny’s) and to hear all the different arrangements of it, I’m in hog heaven. Finally getting to hear Penguin’s Grand Deed after all these years is a delight. I’m also liking a lot of the alt on the second disc, not to mention all the great circus music!!! Very happy with this release.

Lucius

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

“The Zoo” alternate might be the most interesting of all-time. Wonder what the thinking behind that was with the high-hat accompaniment.

ddddeeee
    Participant

How long does it take these to sell out? I’m quite broke ATM.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Me too. I’ll wait for January, that should be enough…

Please, if you read somewhere (let’s say, FSM boards :P) that the edition is about to sell out, don’t hesitate to mention it here…

admin
    Participant

Well Batman is still in stock and has been for a while. I imagine that would be more popular.

Natrebo
    Participant

Batman was also produced at 5000 copies while Batman Returns is 3500, don’t forget about that.

lonzoe
    Participant

My order came in last Saturday and I still haven’t gotten around to listening to it yet. Been busy with work and stuff plus I ordered Star Trek V with it . Hopefully I’ll be able to listen to this this weekend so I can post my thoughts on it. I’ve already read the liner notes. which were good. Just wish Elfman would talk about the score today and not be quoted off of old interviews. I guess that’s what the Burton/Elfman box is for, though.

Weepy Donuts
    Participant

This is why I bought the Mars Attacks! Expanded Archival Collection when it was released. I knew good things would follow. Keep up the great work, LaLa Land Records.

If you are visiting the message board, you must get a copy of this Batman Returns release!

If you have any influence at LaLa Land Records, please produce an Expanded Archival Collection for Dolores Claiborne next.

lonzoe
    Participant

I know I said I was going to write my thoughts, whenever i got around to listening to this. I’ve listened to this album I think three weeks ago. Like people said above it feels like listening to it for the first time again the way it was suppose to be. It’s good to hear tracks that never made it on album that i wanted to hear for years. As well as hearing tracks without the micro edits. The alternates were nice too. That penguin theme really is something else. I also thought the inclusion of “Super Freak” ( the way it was heard in the film at Shreck’s Costume Ball in it’s entirety) was a nice touch as well. A great release indeed and should hold me till the B/E Box in February. That doesn’t mean I won’t stop listening to this when the Box finally comes in.

sajrocks
    Participant

If you want to read along as you listen/watch…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.