Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Batman Spacial Edition tidbit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    TenderLumpling
    Participant

In the dvdtown.com review of the new Batman reissue, they mentioned that the Nocturnal Overtures: The Music of Batman featurette is 7 minutes long. It’s not much, but if you’ve read Danny Elfman’s Batman: A Film Score Guide what more could you possibly learn about the score?

Hopefully within the DVD, there will be some footage of Shirley Walker writing the score with Steve Bartek (ha, ha, yes, I’m being facetious.)

I’ve read nothing new about a music featurette for Batman Returns, but I know the recording session(s) were well-documented. I’ve even seen footage from it.

I really hope it gets on the DVD.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I know there is EPK footage from BATMAN RETURNS because Entertainment Tonight actually ran a report on Elfman’s score back in ’92. I remember it well, Elfman even demonstrated how he did his mock-ups on his synths.

Ryan

Mike Troxell
    Participant

The press release didn’t include any info about a score featurette on the Batman Returns DVD, but it IS included on the back of the box.

http://www.davisdvd.com/images/backs/batmanreturns.jpg

chocothrax
    Participant

Well you’re not wrong about shirley walker writing any of the Batman score as she is listed as a co-composer. I know Scott Smalley wrote some stuff too…which is why I want to take his orchestration seminar to get my hands on some Batman sheet music.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Well you’re not wrong about shirley walker writing any of the Batman score as she is listed as a co-composer.

Well, that’s not what Shirley Walker says.

chocothrax
    Participant

Oh.. why did she put co-composer for Batman on her website though…

TenderLumpling
    Participant

In terms of working with Danny Elfman, how did you perceive the criticism that he wasn’t responsible for writing his own music? Steve Bartek has said that he got winks and nudges meaning “we know you really write the music”. Has that happened to you?

Shirley: I think Danny’s fans know by now that he writes his own music. At the time I worked with him, it was more his envious peers who delighted in keeping alive the notion that he couldn’t write. Unfortunately, perception frequently outweighs truth.

You wrote a mammoth cue for NIGHTBREED and received onscreen credit – was that something that Danny insisted upon?

When Danny asked me to write for NIGTHBREED, I explained the means I had come up with to receive end credit for my composing without using the dreaded “additional music by” credit which carries with it the stigma of a partially thrown out score. I needed Danny’s consent and support to get my credit and he graciously agreed to give me that support.

Ghost Moth
    Participant

Shirley Walker did do a great Batman score–
    For the animated movie, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm.

It did not use Elfman’s themes, but it is very cool.

Danny Burton
    Participant

From the dvdtalk.com review:

Another installment of “Beyond Batman” is included, this time looking at the construction of the second film. Running 15 minutes longer than the first edition, this version has a stand-out piece titled “Inside the Elfman Studio,” which deconstructs the score of the film, as each character had their own music. Elfman even gives a demonstration of how he scored Batman Returns. The featurette as a whole is an excellent behind-the-scenes look at the movie.

Nice! Can’t wait to own Batman and BR [and Batman Begins].

Forever and B&R can rot in the shelves.

Ghost Moth
    Participant

Finally. There it is for sure! Inside The Elfman Studio.

dorkman555
    Participant

Irrelevant, but as it was previously mentioned, the only problem with Walker’s Batman score is that it’s too short. Mask of the Phantasm rocks! If you haven’t already, BUY IT!!!

chocothrax
    Participant

Well in the end she is still a co composer according to her website. And Scott Smalley composed some stuff too unless he has gone senile and is lying. :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.