Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Batman Special edition CD or not ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Elfman1972
    Participant

Hi everyone !

I would like to know something, Someone knows if WB, Varèse sarabande or whatever records will be release a Complete Score of Batman (1989) by Danny Elfman. Is that just a rumor or truth ?

Thanks

DannyBiker
    Participant

Even though it wouldn’t be really necessary, the cd we all have being quite exhaustive, a special edition could have some interest. Like a new mix, more close to the score within the film that has a more aggressive sound (though I’ve always preferred the more moderate drums in the main titles’ cd version…it’s far more subtle and elegant) and also, it would allow us to hear unreleased material such as the bombastic Batman’s theme variation when he enters the museum to save Vicky Vale.
    But again, there are more urgent special editions to produce…

Elfman1972
    Participant

Yeah, you’re right, but, Is it a future release or not ?

That IS the question…

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

In Janet K Halfyard’s book on the BATMAN score she notes that the discrepancy between actual and official runtimes of BATMAN on home video and DVD is about 4%. Meaning the film runs faster than it did in theatres, altering the pitch of the score three-quarters of a semi-tone, which is an audible difference. This might explain why everyone also laments the difference between the score as heard in the film and on the album, which is noted in the correct speed and pitch.

In her list of the complete set of cues written for the film, Halfyard also notes there are 6 omitted cues, and a total of 74 minutes of music for the film (all based on the full set of cue sheets she studied at Warner Bros.). Halfyard also mentions alternates and un-recorded extensions to certain cues.

So what’s my point? Well there’s plenty of material to warrant a special re-release of the BATMAN score. Add to that the (descent into) mystery surrounding the music heard in the beginning of that BATMAN documentary and you have even more to add on.

Ryan

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I hadn’t watched the first “Batman” in quite a while and I watched it when it was on AMC the other night, and for me it was one of those “jeez, this is a fantastic movie” moments. The music, the visuals, the Jack Nicholson, it’s all fantastic. A special edition CD would be splendid, although the music features on the “Batman Anthology” DVDs are a nice touch.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.