Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion BATMAN: SPECIAL EDITION DVDs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dawg Man
    Participant

I have to say,

I bought the Batman DVDs today (the first two ofcourse, as well as Batman Begins) and they’re pretty good. Particularly, the thing that stuck out in my mind was the special feature with Bob Kane on the set of the original movie. With all this talk about Batman Begins being the definitive Batman movie, it’s nice to hear Batman’s creator give such credit to Burton’s vision. Gotham was supposed to be in the style of the 1930’s comics, like Burton’s films were (film noir and lots of grays), and the tone was supposed to be dark (even as dark as it turned in the sequel). So, yes, Begins was a good movie, but Burton’s film is still — for me — the definitive version, just like Keaton — for me — was the definitive Batman. It’s only too bad it couldn’t continue.

Anyway, this has been a long time coming. What do you guys think?

Oh. And yes, it’s too bad Elfman has no commentary but — it’s official — he does have two documentaries. One for Batman and the other for Batman Returns (my preferance when it comes to the score).

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I don’t plan on buying the anthology, but it’s nice to hear Elfman’s score as the one being used in the commercials.

KWashi
    Participant

I bought the anthology because I’ve always loved the Batman movies, no matter how corny they were. “Batman Forever” and “Batman and Robin” came out at a time where I didn’t really care if they were cheesy or good. Tim Burton’s “Batman” is my favorite, and my favorite score[of all time] is to “Batman”, but I also love Goldenthal’s score to “Forever”. I was kind of dissapointed that there weren’t any deleted scenes for “Batman”, but both the Elfman segments are really good. There’s even a Goldenthal section on “Forever” (admit it, the theremin/saxaphone section is awesome!)
    As far as “Batman Begins”, I got that too, with the comic in it. I honestly think “Begins” was the best, but “Batman” is my favorite (I’ve already said that, haha) but it’s just so great! The score to “Begins” is, to me, a bunch of noises (freaky when listened through headphones) with one noticable theme. It’s still pretty good, but no one will ever match Elfman’s themes.
    Anyways, I love the anthology, and in the rare occurance anyone likes the 3rd and 4th movies, I highly recommend it.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I also bought the anthology (it made more sense to pay $60 for all four then $25 for each single) and am going through the extras. There is about 12-13 minutes of Elfman featurette footage, including some 1992 footage of Elfman demoing a RETURNS cue! I’m now watching BATMAN and listening to Burton’s hilarious commentary. Definitely worth buying.

Like everyone here, I also bought BEGINS. But I think I can go one better… I also bought LAND OF THE DEAD!

Ryan

Ghost Moth
    Participant

It’s a very exciting day. Batman was the first Elfman album I bought, and I hadn’t even seen the movie yet, but I loved Beetlejuice. And for a kid who mostly listened to heavy metal or the Cure (Disintegration came out the same year) it was unusual, but I swear I listened to Elfman every night.

I wasn’t that entertained by Batman Begins as I was with Burton’s films, I liked the first third of Batman Begins, then I lost interest. Michael Keaton is my favorite Batman, he could express himself behind that mask so well, he was just so cool that the debate over his height is really laughable now. He had a great presence.

For all the passionate championing of Begins being so faithful to the comics and conquering Burton’s twisted vision, it just isn’t so. Batman Begins is not Frank Miller’s Year One. The Joker in Burton’s film is being derided because he was “Jack Napier” who killed Bruce Wayne’s parents. Well, I tell you what, I’ve read all kinds of Batman origins and that’s a damn site better than the Red Hood running around–and you are not going to see the Red Hood in the next Batman movie, what then? Batman Begins takes as many liberties as Burton’s film, and in the end result I think Burton’s were more effective and memorable.

I like Goldenthal, and I listened to his Batman Forever theme again the other week, it ‘s cool. I checked out the Batman Begins score again because I saw it measured over Elfman’s score by a bunch of geeks and I thought maybe I missed something because I didn’t remember it at all. Well, I liked the percussive sound of the main titles or whatever it was supposed to be, but musically it failed to fuel my imagination at all.

That is the power of Elfman’s score. It’s very dynamic, exciting, and unforgettable. And I like the love theme written by Prince and his Father, John L. Nelson, and what Elfman does with that. I think I’m partial to the original score, probably because it’s the one I spent more time with on its own before there was Returns, and which distinctly developed my musical appreciations, my imagination, and my affinity for Mr. Elfman.

Finally, and most importantly, that kid Katie Holmes has nothing on Kim Bassinger.

Dawg Man
    Participant

One great thing to note: Although there isn’t a deleted scenes section, deleted scenes are scattered throughout the “Cinematic Journey” Documentaries. I remember hearing rumors of a scene in the original where Batman saves a child (the kid then asks “Is it halloween?”) and — boom — there is was.

Also, there was an alternate scene in Batman Returns which was kind of weird. Remember the scene in the cave where batman looks at the claw Catwoman left and instinctively says “meow”? Well, originally he cut his finger with the claw, sucked the blood, and then said “meow”. Boy. I wonder why they cut that out.

Anyway, there are more in there that I can’t think of right now but great stuff all together. I haven’t even scratched the surface. Definitely worth the money.

SIDE NOTE: I still can’t believe Max Schreck and the Penguin were Cobblepot brothers up until the last minute of pre-production.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

I like Batman Begins, too, however, it’s kinda dull; the action sequences pales in comparison to Burton’s. We don’t really get to see Batman do his stuff; he just floats in and out of the frame, dismantling thugs.

I always hear the filmmakers of Batman Begins boast how definitively they portray Batman’s origin story, although, I think Mask of the Phantasm — which isn’t even an origin story — does far better a job explaining Batman’s motivation.

Phantasm really shows why Bruce is so dedicated to the oath he swore to his parents — it’s because he is so completely haunted by them and their memory. He can’t help speaking to their graves. He feels obligated to give them grieving updates about his mission. And when he veers away from his mission, they push him back into the dark; like, for example, when Bruce tells his fiancee that he’s changing his “plan,” and thousands of bat’s fly out of his potential Bat-Cave.

Batman Beings, in contrast, has lots of dialogue with Bruce taking to Ras about his grief and anger, as if he’s just telling it straight to us, the audience. In Phantasm, the filmmakers actually show us why a character feels a certain way — that’s the truer storytelling, and it lies with a cartoon, not a multimillion dollar “art film.”

Elfman
    Participant

Yes, I’m agree with you man, this Batman made by Burton is STILL the Best batman ever, of course batman Begins is very nice, but not to be the defenitive Batman.

I think that the only major problem with Batman Begins have is the Music score. The score of Zimmer/Howards are good, but this is not for the Dark Knight. and without the Elfman’s major Theme, it a less for Begins.

artesubversivo
    Participant

batman is the more important superheroe in the world….and Elfman is the best composer on the planet!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.