Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Billboard/Hollywood Reporter Maestro Award

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    sajrocks
    Participant

Epic article from Hollywood Reporter on Elfman’s career, banner 8-film year this year, and lots on OZ, which he seems to be enjoying.

THR: Do you have a “funny” button on your console?

Elfman: I wish. On Oz just yesterday, I was playing some music for [director] Sam Raimi and he was laughing out loud. And what I did that was so funny in this particular moment was a pause. What’s usually funny in music is timing. When I’m making Sam laugh effectively, which I’ve been doing quite a bit of this week, it’s because I’m finding the timing of a scene, putting in accents and pauses in very specific moments. It’s funny without trying to be.

THR: Music is a combination of repetitive pattern and surprise, and sometimes the best sound is silence.

Elfman: Absolutely correct. Where something starts or ends is a very big thing. There’s a lot of music in Oz, about 115 minutes, but I’m having a great time because the music’s all very narrative, and I really could go on almost a hypnotic trance and just pour music out in a way I really enjoy. I’m really telling the story with music, I’ve got a number of themes blocked out, and it’s flowing really easily.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/danny-elfman-my-constant-worry-382170

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up.

sajrocks
    Participant

Billboard reported from the Q&A. Not much new besides the photo, but I wasn’t aware of this:

The day before at the conference, composer Gustavo Santaolalla said he wrote the entire Oscar-winning score for “Brokeback Mountain” before a single frame was filmed. Elfman, on the other hand, said he always writes to picture, after a semi-disastrous attempt at doing otherwise during the making of 1988’s”Beetlejuice.”

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry/tv-film/danny-elfman-talks-tim-burton-simpsons-and-1007991872.story

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.