Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Boingo song’s close relation to Elfman score

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Leccathu
    Participant

This is just something I wanted to say which I thought was pretty fascinating. I recieved the Oingo Boingo CD ‘Dark At The End of The Tunnel’ this Christmas, and after listening to it a few times, I noticed something. The last track, ‘Try To Believe’, sounded suprisingly familiar. The relation came to me almost immediately – the main melody almost seemed exactly similar to the main titles of ‘Midnight Run’. The same notes and everything. This really shocked me and interested me – I’m guessing that the main reason Elfman perhaps copied himself on this was because that same theme he used for his song was perfect for the movie, and I don’t blame him one bit. I had never heard such a close comparison before, so this was quite new to me. But then again, the closeness of the Polar Express cues with ELF kind of suprised me as well, so who’s to say? I just thought this was a fun piece of info that I wanted to share with everyone.

I would love to post up Try To Believe and the main titles of Midnight Run, but the main titles of Midnight Run are already on the site here (*grins* Thanks Ryan!), so you can go to the Soundclips bit of this site and click on the ‘Main Titles’ under Midnight Run and, well…….I think I just made a fool of myself. *laughs* But I can’t put Try To Belive on here, so I suppose you’ll just have to go on my word that they sound similar, unless you have an alternate way of listening to it….*grimaces*

Still, this was pretty cool, in any case. Thanks!

P.S. – I’m not necessarily new to the boards here, but I just joined ‘officially’, so to say :P So, hello to everyone here, both new and old! It’s great to be able to reply now! *chuckles*

svc6lfm
    Participant

I do think that the 2 songs are not similar but the same and that on the Midnight Run CD due to “rights” it’s credited to “Mosley and the B-Men” (maybe the B from Boingo) and the man singing seems to be Danny Elfman himself.

PHIL
    Participant

I believe that “Try to Believe” is actually on the Soundtrack to “Midnight Run”during the end titles. I may be wrong, but I’ll try to believe.

boingomusic
    Participant

Well. Here’s the explanation. Danny Elfman composed the soundtrack for Midnight Run in 1988. He wrote a song for the movie, called “Try to Believe”, which uses the sames melodies and harmonies than the score itself! The song appears in the movie, during the end credits, but for some reason, without the lyrics. Anyway, it appears on the original MCA soundtrack album, and it’s credited to the band : Mosley and the B-men. Mosley beeing the name of the special agent in the movie, and the B-men being Boingo. In fact, Mosley and the B-men ARE Oingo Boingo, but they just changed their name for this album. Why? Simply because Danny had always tried to keep his scoring life away from his rock-band life.
    A year later, in 1989, The album DARK AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL came out, with a new recording of the song, this time, credited to Boingo!

The two versions are a bit different, The one in the soundtrack has women singing back-vocals during the chorus, and the piano parts are a bit different.

There you go.

Eric

Leccathu
    Participant

*smiles* Oh, okay – I understand now. It’s ncie to have smart people here *chuckles* Thanks a lot. Quite fascinating to hear.

Cheers,

PHIL
    Participant

The Midnight Run album is great music to clean your house to. If your a bailbondsman or bounty hunter you could play that as your personal theme music.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.