Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion BORAT will indeed co-star in Sweeney Todd… BUT will he SING?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dawg Man
    Participant

Here’s some good old fashioned confusion in the news…

Cohen songs axed from ‘Sweeney Todd’
    Thursday, December 14 2006, 22:49 GMT
    By Dave West

“Sacha Baron Cohen’s singing has been axed from Sweeney Todd because it is too bad.

The Borat creator is staring in the Tim Burton production of the musical alongside Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter. He will play Signor Adolfo Pirelli, rival hairdresser to Depp’s Todd, while Bonham Carter is the baker, Mrs Lovett.

Cohen had been asked to sing a number of songs but, after he struggled in rehearsals, Burton has decided to allow him to do them as raps.

“Pirelli is a notoriously demanding role with some difficult songs,” a source told The Sun. “Any professional singer would struggle. So Sacha has been told to go for a rap style.

“There was never any question of Sacha being axed from the movie. He is going to do a fantastic job. But he couldn’t cut it with the singing. His voice was too low.”

The epic movie, a version of Stephen Sondheim’s Sweeney Todd, The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street, is due for release next year. “

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds40753.html?rss

Now This is funny because this report soon followed…

Burton Defends Cohen’s Singing in ‘Sweeney Todd’
    18/12/2006 01:59

TIM BURTON has hailed SACHA BARON COHEN’s singing ability in the face of media reports suggesting his songs have been cut from the forthcoming SWEENEY TODD movie.

The BORAT and ALI G creator plays SIGNOR ADOLFO PIRELLI – the arch-rival of JOHNNY DEPP’s SWEENEY TODD, The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street – in the big screen version of the hit musical.

And Burton laughs of claims he had instructed Cohen to rap his songs instead of singing them. He says, “Sacha will surprise everyone. When he auditioned for me, he sang FIDDLER ON THE ROOF without accompaniment and was incredible. “STEPHEN SONDHEIM, who wrote the original Broadway musical, loves Sacha’s voice.”

At any rate, for any body with doubts about his singing abilities…

Natrebo
    Participant

Also check out his singing in Madagascar as King Julian!!!!

danielwolk
    Participant

They could always just replace his voice with that of Danny Elfman. Ha.

Oh my god!! ,Danny Elfman should be given a singing role in this movie. He’s acted before and he is a brilliant singer. There has to be a minor singing role for him. I could die happy if that were to happen.

Dawg Man
    Participant

I know. I see something with Elfman happening. I mean, It HAS to happen. If not additional music then something.

chii
    Participant

I dont think he will be acting/singing though (danny) He swore he would never ever do it again…XD

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I never heard of this vow, and after “Charlie” and “Corpse Bride” it seems kinda weird. But let us not forget that he also swore he’d never work with Sam Raimi again, and yet he’s set to collaborate on Spidey 3.

chii
    Participant

Thats true XD I meant like actually speaking lines and such, not singing songs. He said he would never play a part, however small, in a movie again. I could probably find the article….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.