Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Brussels’ Concert will be rescheduled…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    DannyBiker
    Participant

Doubt it will affect anyone here beyond me but it’s still Elfman news :
    Due to the current situation in Brussels (we were pretty much lockdowned until yesterday), the Burton-Elfman concert that was supposed to happen on Saturday is postponed to a yet to be announced date.

I really wish the upcoming date will be working for me. :/

Edit : new date has been announced; April 30th 2016.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Hope you get to see the concert afterall and that the current situation in Brussels, France and Europe in general is settled. We need our music for diversion!

DannyBiker
    Participant

Thanks for the support Ryan.
    To be more specific about the cancellation : it’s actually Elfman who decided not to come, following the recommendations of the US government about travelling to Brussels in this troubled period. I can perfectly understand that.

Lambegue
    Participant

It’s a worrying situation, yes…France even asked Europe the authorization not to respect some articles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, in order to fight the terrorism…I hope it will get better, someday. Sad to see that we can’t manage any real peace.
    I hope you’ll be able to see the concert after all. Music and art are among the best things to evade such a situation, if only for some hours.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Yeah, so, the concert is happening tomorrow night. But I just got a great news : Elfman won’t be there. It’s Mauceri and Sandy Cameron only. How about that ?

The press heavily reported that he was going to be here back in late 2015 (when the concert was supposed to happen) but my guess is that they just based that assumption on the fact that he was part of every other show until then. If I go back to the official presentations of the evening, Elfman’s presence was never announced indeed. I just assumed it, like everyone else.

Saying that I’m disappointed is quite the euphemism. I will probably sell (cheap) my (very expensive) tickets tomorrow. But more than the money, it’s the way that this was handled that disgusts me.

I wasn’t even aware that the show could happen without him. Have you ever heard of it ?

Edit : and to think I have sold Paris tickets to favor my city…

boingomusic
    Participant

I’m really sad to hear this. I wish you could see the show with him singing the NBC songs.

But, yeah, the concert toured in many many cities without Elfman being there.

There are two versions of the concert. One includes a Nightmare before Christmas musical suite, and the other one includes all the songs when Elfman attends.

The concert itself is definitely worth the price, if you’ve never seen it. Specially when it’s conducted by John Mauceri.
    I’ve seen the concert quite a few times, and it’s really a treat when Mauceri is conducting. He participated in elaborating the concert, and he knows what he’s doing. I’ve seen all “versions” of the concert. Of course, the best one is the concert with Elfman, Mauceri and Cameron. But if I had to chose between Elfman being here without Mauceri, or Mauceri being here without Elfman, I would prefer the one with Mauceri. Because it’s a very hard program to conduct, and not everybody can handle it. So, if I were you, I would go.

I’m going to Lucerne in two weeks to attend the premiere of BATMAN live with orchestra.
    Elfman is supposed to attend, as he did with Alice in Wonderland two years ago. I hope he won’t cancel this one.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Oh I was at the London Premiere so I don’t feel that bitter but I mostly feel cheated because the organizers, while they never actually mentioned his presence, didn’t bother to deny it either when the press mentionned it over and over. When the show was rescheduled in November, the reported news was that “Danny Elfman decided to follow the recommendation of not coming to Brussels because of the alert and the organizers agreed with him”. It’s actually still showing on the website of the center where the concert will happen : http://www.palais12.com/events/detail/danny-elfmans

And that’s why I’ll probably sell my tickets : I know it’s going to be a good show even without the songs and Danny but I feel cheated now. They just tarnished my enthusiasm and, between my Paris tickets I sold a little cheaper than what I bought them and these tickets I’ll probably have to discount quite significantly, they also made me 120€ poorer.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Ok, things are a bit foggy : I’m now fairly sure that Elfman was supposed to come in November as the organizer itself mentioned on its Facebook page that “Danny Elfman decided to follow the recommendations…” So my guess is that the new scheduled date wasn’t (or ended up not) working for him and they went for the Elfman-free version of the concert. But with so many tickets sold, they didn’t bother to contact the buyers as they were afraid of the amount of potential cancellations.

When I confronted them with that Facebook post, they said they never said that, that they mentioned “the artist” meaning Mauceri and Cameron (like, they don’t bother plural for them and just refer to them as “the artist”). I decided to double-check the post and of course, it had been deleted. Too bad for them, I’ve already made a screen capture and when I confronted them with it, they just kinda of insulted me and banned me from their Facebook conversations.

boingomusic, you’re French speaker if I remember correctly, I made a post on my blog about it : http://www.labelgeek.be/2016/04/29/danny-elfman-a-bruxelles-quand-mb-presentsfire-starter-ment-par-omission/

Anyway, what a let down.

Lambegue
    Participant

I must admit that is quite scandalous…
    I hope you’ll manage to get your money back. And, maybe, to see the show (WITH Elfman !) some other day

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.