Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion BURTON now, and which Sequel?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Tim Burton is my favourite film director of all time and I love seeing all of his latest film films but I started to notice how he isn’t really doing his own imaginary stuff.
    “Planet of the Apes”, which is my least favourite Burton film was a remake and wasn’t brilliant.

Stepford Wives(which he isn’t doing, but was going to) is not a Burton idea and Big Fish is based on a book. I beginning to worry if Tim will start to go downhill if he stops doing his own ideas like Edward Scissorhands, beetlejuice and the nightmare before christmas. I not saying that Big Fish wont be a success but I want to be able to still enjoy his work in about 10 or more years time.
    So I pose the question, Which of his earlier films should Tim do a sequel of?
    I personally want to see a new Batman or beetlejuice because they seem fit of having one after all these years and the last 2 batman films need to be thought of as pretend films to build up the arrival of another masterpiece.
    What do you think?
    -ElfmanFrEaK

Anonymous

I don’t think he should do any sequels. He makes the kind of movies that are best without sequels.

Anonymous

BEETLEJUICE is not a Burton creation. True the look and feel of the character was influenced by Burton, but the script was written before Tim was attached.

Same goes for BATMAN.

Ryan

Anonymous

I always wonder why people assume Beetlejuice was one of his CREATIONS? I guess everyone gets confused because the subject matter and art direction are SOOOOO Burton that people just assume it’s one of his ideas.

As for his upcoming films — I look foward to Big Fish. Truth be told, though, I’d like to see something more original from him — another Edward Scissorhands or Nightmare Before Christmas. Still, I have no doubt that he’ll take whatever he’s given and transform it into something all his own… he’s great at alternate world creation. And of course, with that comes a great Elfman score. ;-)

As for sequels, they tend to be a bad idea. The only one I ever wish he did was that Catwoman film that was being tossed around the rumor mill back in the mid-nineties.

Peace Love and all that Jazz. . .
    Tex

Anonymous

I was under the impression that the Catwoman movie was still on (or is now on . . . after being off for god knows how long!). I think I read something about it in People the other month, with Michelle Pfeifer (or however you spell her name) saying that if she could give Ashley Judd (the new Catwoman) some advice, it would be to make sure the mask fits because her nose got smushed. I wouldn’t want Burton to touch the Catwoman movie with a 10-foot pole if Ashley Judd had to be Catwoman – – she’s just way to cutsey and girl-next-door to be Catwoman.

Anonymous

Looking at all that he’s done, I think it’s hard to say. Of his four strongest films, two (Batman and Beetlejuice) were other peoples’ work, while two (Edward Scissorhands and Nightmare) were originals of his that he had stored away in the back of his mind since the teenage years.

So I don’t think we can make the blanket statement that when he does “pre-written” work, he’s not as good. I think he just ended up with a couple of less impressive productions in a row, so fans are worried. Even then, I thought Sleepy Hollow was strong until Miranda Richardson’s “here’s how I did it” lecture at the end, which wasn’t Burton’s fault anyway but the screenwriter’s.

Maybe he’s just plain out of those childhood dream projects of his. Or maybe he has something he’s really letting simmer until it’s thoroughly cooked and he’s ready to write it out and turn it into a film.

Either way…I plan to be in the theaters the next time “Directed by Tim Burton” shows up.

Anonymous

Oops!!! Ryan, can you reduce that to just ONE post of mine, and then delete this one too? It’s clogging up the works. Totally my fault. Or my computer’s. Either way, I feel silly.

Anonymous

Well, Burton must be working on something because it’s been a good year since POTA and unless he is it’s gonna be a good two years before we see anything..if at all. I don’t think Burton likes doing sequels, from what i’ve read. Whenever a Tim Burton movie comes and goes i usually just play dumb until a few months before his new project gets released. It saves me much stress and nail biting…I doubt Burton will release anything this year, or next year…

Anonymous

Or why not let Tim Burton make a sequel or remake of a Sam Raimi film and vice versa. Just for the Fun of it.

Anonymous

“BEETLEJUICE is not a Burton creation. True the look and feel of the character was influenced by Burton, but the script was written before Tim was attached.”

Fun Beetlejuice fact:

Beetlejuice had no complete script. It was heavily re-written by Burton (among the other screenwriters) and greatly improvised by the actors as well.

Anonymous

I think Big Fish sounds like the perfect Burton / Elfman project. It’s a great extension of themes (both dramatic and musical) that they’ve been exploring for a number of years. I think sequels (and really remakes for that matter) are the antithesis of the Burton / Elfman aesthetic.

Anonymous

Even so,
    Burton still has Sleepy Hollow, The Nightmare Before Christmas and Edward Scissorhands to look up to.
    Most people know the whole story of Sleepy Hollow and have only seen the Disney movie or Burton’s. Let me tell you, folks, the Legend of Sleepy Hollow is about 12 or so pages long. Andrew Kevin Walker wrote the screenplay and all that, but Burton developed the whole story. Everything that you saw in the movie, he had seen before the movie even started. In an interview on Sleepy Hollow’s official site (my favourite site!) Ricci was asked, “Did you have to do anything to prepare for this film?” She replied, “No, no, Tim Burton just told us what to do..He had the visions.” (or something to that extent.)
    The Nightmare Before Christmas — Burton came up with the story entirely. I’m not sure on the exact story, but believe me, he wrote that.
    Edward Scissorhands — if you haven’t been studying, the whole movie originated from a painting by Burton. He said it was a boy who was cut short of the world, and was looked down on for that. So you see, a story sprouted from that.
    There are most likely tons more movies that deserve some definite recognition for Burton’s work — but those are the three movies I dare say I am in love with, for Burton’s work AND Elfman’s work. (And Depp.)

-Em

Anonymous

I just want TIm to go back to darkness and/or black humor. I miss those movies! He should make another “Frankenweenie”…if only for my own enjoyment. (Yeah, like that’ll ever happen!)

Anonymous

Gothic Burton is the most beautiful thing….

-Em

Anonymous

You know what would be really fun? If you could get Tim Burton and Sam Raimi to do a collaboration of some kind.

Anyways, I think one of the reasons Planet of the Apes didn’t come across as more of a Burton film, is due to the fact that he was just dealing with so many different characters.

I mean, the majority of Burton’s films tend to focus on just one person, or maybe even a small group–as oppossed to a cast of thousands, you know? That does something to wipe out the intimacy he usually generates in his films.

Plus, in Planet of the Apes, there wasn’t really any place for the characters to hide (Batman has his cave, BeetleJuice has the model, Jack has Christmas Town, etc….) Everything’s out in the open, and there’s no place to run.

Also, it was just a completely different feel, given all the computer and technology used. In all of his previous films (at least to my knowledge), Tim has pretty much used basic special effects–nothing drastic and/or showy. But for a film as large as this one, I suppose he had to.

Anyways, there were just too many different factors all coming together at once, which probably lead to Planet of the Apes not seeming “brilliant.” I mean, yeah, it wasn’t my favorite Tim Burton movie, but it was still great.

(I for one loved the ending, on account of it’s about time animals get to screw people over, for a change)!

Anonymous

I always thought that Planet Of The Apes was a movie that critics and some movie goers had already made up their minds on. Then when the movie came out they found it not as bad as they thought. I really like listening to Burton’s commentary track on the DVD because he points out all the symbolism in the imagery.

I think critics also did this with Episode 2, witch is kinda funny, because Lucas and Burton are very visual “artist” that sometimes sacrifices other movie devices for the image. They go about it in different ways, but they do get the job done.

Both know the power of music in film too, and that is something we can all be thankful for.

Just a few musings from a lunatic. :-)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.