Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion BURTON on BURTON

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

hey, I don’t know if this is a new book, it says 2000, anyway, it’s a whole book about Timmy, called Burton on Burton, and it includes a fairly substancial amount about Danny, it’s been real entertaining, I recommend.

Anonymous

Yeah, it’s an old book that goes about as far as his Ed Wood or Mars Attacks days, i think. It IS a good read, and there are others, too.

Anonymous

Names please!

Anonymous

naw man, this goes as far as Sleepy Hollow…
    it’s ISBN number is 051205070

Anonymous

well, unless it’s another revised, updated Burton on Burton book. The one i have ends with the filming of Mars Attacks, but doesn’t go into much detail about it. It’s a small black book, 156 or 160 some odd pages. I bought this book before Hollow came out– and the release of “the ART of Sleepy Hollow,” which is a pretty large book sporting the script and photos, etc. Considering i was in NYC at the time, i scoured for pretty much all i could find, and no Burton books about his life or filmwork had touched on Sleepy Hollow at the time. But i don’t doubt they could have updated it — the book market has been pretty aggressive lately, considering the web and all.

Anonymous

There’s another great Burton book, the name of which escapes me – will find it if you want (I own a copy). It’s Brittish, and I’ve only seen it once at a comic book store here in town – and I bought one of the few copies they had – so I don’t think it’s easy to find.

There is any entire chapter of the book that devotes itself to the music in his films. There is also a book called INNER VIEWS: FILMAKERS IN CONVERSATION. It features Burton, Coppola, David Lynch and David Croneneberg – and a couple others. Whole chapters where they just talk. It’s worth it.

Anonymous

Wow…thanks…consider that Sleepy Hollow book already in my collection!

Anonymous

Aside from Burton on Burton, I aquired 2 other books about him. The first is:

Tim Burton: An unauthorized biography of the filmmaker. By Ken Hanke. (Renaissance books; ISBN: 1580631622)

The other is ‘Tim Burton: By Helmut Merschmann. (Titan Books; ISBN: 1840232080)

The former is better than the latter!

:o)

Anonymous

Sorry I got to this one late, guys — been busy.

Anyway, had I caught this earlier, I would have told you that the Tim Burton Unauthorized Biography is the best one out there (better than Burton on Burton, IMHO). Besides being long, interesting, and in-depth, the writer originally wanted to write a book on Danny Elfman but had no takers — needless to say, he got some minor revenge by putting a lot of great Elfman info in there along with the Burton stuff (never have I seen a director’s book with so much attention paid to the film composer ;-) ).

Anyway, pick it up if you’re interested in either Burton OR Elfman.

Peace Love and all that Jazz. . .
    Tex

Anonymous

The Unauthorized book is the best for information/attention paid to Danny. But I think Burton on Burton is snazzy, just because it’s Tim describing what he’s trying to do in his own words. That, and it’s got some saucy artwork–Tim, doing some rather Gorey-ish sketches and such.

Anonymous

While I LOVE the man’s work, I guess I just don’t find Tim Burton, THE MAN, all that interesting. Everytime I hear him speak, or listen to a DVD commentary, or read interviews, I just get bored. I barely made it through the Sleepy Hollow commentary without fast fowarding (the MST3K routine would have been funnier if he had actually brought in Mike Nelson and the bots).

To me, Burton will always be one of those artists who speaks more through his artwork than through his words. Which is fine by me — cause the world could use more imaginative directors like him.

Elfman, on the other hand, always seems interesting — besides being able to form coherant sentances better, he’s always a blast to listen to for his opinions on the industry, film scoring, films, etc…

Where are my vague ramblings going with this…? Oh yeah — I like the Unauthorized Biography of Burton better… no artwork, but once you’ve read The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy, you’ve got a pretty good taste of Burton’s awesome sketches. :-)

Peace Love and all that Jazz. . .
    Tex

Anonymous

I actually found Tim Burton’s DVD commentaries to be quite lively and funny. He was more comical than I would’ve expected.

Anonymous

in burton on burton they mention danny many times, but never go much into their squabble around the tie of Ed Wood, anyone know much more about it? they allude to creative “problems” on Nightmare….

Anonymous

I’ll agree that Tim isn’t as interesting as Danny–nor nearly as articulate, but I still like hearing what he has to say. I mean, anyone can hypothesize on what an artist’s trying to do, think, and/or say with his or her work, but I like to hear from artists themselves, on occasion.

I mean, I’m still going to draw my own conclusions and such–just like everybody else–but I still think it’s interesting to hear from the source themselves, you know?

Besides, I’m not too great about expressing myself verbally–I mean, typing on a keyboard ain’t exactly the same thing as talking–so, I suppose I can relate to Tim’s lack of snazzy commentary.

(Danny, on the other hand, is a wild card, and always rather entertaining)!

Anonymous

Hahha. The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Characters is the BEST.

Though I like listening to Tim Burton. Personally, I think he’s hilarious.
    “If you could trade heads with anyone living or deceased, who would it be?”
    “Oh, I don’t know. Probably a dog head. Haha. You know, you could kind of bark instead of talk.”
    He has lots of hand movements, I notice, during interviews.

-Em

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.