Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Charlotte’s Web CD

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    boingomusic
    Participant

Ok! Just got my cd, and I’ve listened to it once. To me, it’s a perfect mix between big fish and corpse bride and family man. It has the same rural vibe (violins, guitars, percussion) that big fish has. It has a simple but moving melody which is very similar to Corpse Bride. And it has that “christmassy” choral and bells tone that family man has. It reminds me sometime of Edward Scissorhands and Black Beauty as well, but the orchestrations are far more complex. Some cues, like “The Plan Begins” are incredibly well written, and the piano parts are amazing. The piano parts remind me the way elfman used that instrument in Back To School, or specially in Flubber : very fast and light notes.

To me, it’s a perfect mix between different genres that we’ve seen before. Maybe there’s nothing new, but it’s moving and beautiful. The kind of score that would totally diserve an oscar.

What do you guys think?

Oh, and did anyone get the I-TUNES bonus tracks? Are they worth buying the whole album again???

-Eric

Danny Burton
    Participant

AGHH!! iTunes is listing Pete Anthony as the “artist”

Weepy Donuts
    Participant

I just want to double check…

I saw that iTunes lists a couple of bonus songs. Are these hidden tracks on the CD or should I buy the score at iTunes? I have collected most of Elfman’s albums over the years and I would really like to add the cover art & liner notes to my library… but I want as much published music as possible.

Thanks everyone.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

The two cues on iTunes are exclusive to their store. They are not on the Sony CD in stores.

Ryan

Danny Burton
    Participant

Good GOD, why isn’t anyone talking about this??

I mean, the Main Titles alone are some of the best stuff Elfman has EVER done.

I’ve been listening to this non-stop and I have to say that after some serious thought, of the post Mission Impossible Elfman, this is my favorite score of his.

Absolutely gorgeous. It’s Black Beauty, Sommersby and Big Fish all put together.

elfmanguy
    Participant

I was just wondering the same thing. I was suprised about how much NMBC you hear in this as well. I also hear a lotta things I havent heard in his scores for a good long while. Xylophones for one. Man did I miss those. It’s just very pleasant listening to this score. It’s gotta be altogether the prettiest score he’s ever done. Very pleasant. Makes you want to sit back and relax and just listen to it without interuption.

Lucius
    Participant

I’ve been listening to this score for a LONG time now, and I think it’s one of the best scores of the year, if not THE best. (It also helps that there have been some slim pickins this year. The only other hightlights are Lady in the Water and X3 [yes Ryan, X f-in’ 3]). I agree that the ‘Main Titles’ are great, not to mention ‘A Plan Begins’ and the gorgeous ‘Radiant’. BUt, I think ‘The Dump’ is amazing; Danny captured his old style quite well. (It kinda reminds me of ‘Mayday’ from Article 99.) But the track that is the cat knees and the bee’s pajamas has got to be ‘Wilbur’s Homecoming’. This is the track where Danny really gets to shine. I mean, when the choir soars around the 2:30 minute mark, it has got to be the most gorgeous writing Danny has done since Edward Scissorhands…and then it just keeps going. This 8 minutes of writing is one of the best expamples of Danny’s genius with long form composing. It’s been a long time since Danny has had a chance to just go nuts for a long period of time (he would normally only get to do 1 or 2 minutes sections, which I’m sure he hates.) And Ryan is right, this is a score that grows with you on every listen. It’s a smooth comforting score, that warms you like sipping cocoa in front of a big fire.

So, two thumbs up from this Elfman Nerd!

Lucius

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Lots of fireside cocoa sipping in Southern California, is there? ;)

Ryan

Lucius
    Participant

rkeaveney Wrote:

> Lots of fireside cocoa sipping in Southern
    > California, is there?
    >
    > Ryan

Well, if you REALLY crank the A.C. there is. :) Thanks, now you really made me miss the East Coast.

LPD4

Elfmanite777
    Participant

Lucius Wrote:

>I mean, when the choir soars around the 2:30 minute
    > mark, it has got to be the most gorgeous writing
    > Danny has done since Edward Scissorhands…and
    > then it just keeps going.

I totally agree. With the french horns and everything introducing the soaring choir. It’s absolutely brilliant. I think the whole score is wonderful. A mix between Big Fish and Black Beauty, I say. It’s definitely worthy of an Oscar nomination. Danny’s long overdue, so I hope that they give him the recognition he deserves.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.