Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Choré Ballet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Segerstrom Center for the Arts welcomes the return of Les Ballets de Monte- Carlo February 11 – 13, 2016 with another American premiere: Jean-Christophe Maillot’s Choré, featuring music by Danny Elfman and John Cage.

Tanz Magazine called Choré an “exciting and grandiose evening” and concertclassique.com hailed Jean-Christoph Maillot as “a master of the stage.” With music by Emmy and Grammy® winning composer Danny Elfman and John Cage, one of the most influential composers of the 20th century, Choré is a loving homage to American musical theatre, which Maillot describes as one of history’s most important musical developments. Maillot uses that period, its music and its visual extravagance to explore the evolution of dance. Through Maillots’ captivating choreography and the extraordinary dancing of his acclaimed company, Choré dramatically reveals fascinating insights into one of America’s most beloved art form.

DannyBiker
    Participant

I wonder if Elfman and Cage worked together at some level. I really like the turn he’s giving to his career.

Natrebo
    Participant

I don’t think they worked together because John Cage died in 1992, but I would like to know what they used from Cage’s works. Probably some of his prepared piano pieces. Cage was one of the great free thinkers about music and help free music from the chains of it being defined as organized sound. I could also see Elfman writing something to corrispond to some of his solo vocal works like “Aria” which esqued traditional notation. I own a record of a cage piece that is supposed to be played by the listener – along with the album is a printout (that was different for each albumn sold) that showed times when bass/treble/volume knobs are supposed to be turned to certain values (it’s really wild!).

DannyBiker
    Participant

Oh my God, what an idiot, I thought of Steve Reich for some reason.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Watching this at work so no idea if it has sound, but…

Thor
    Participant

Yes, there is a bit of music in the backgroun. Typical Elfman project, where he gets to delve into his love of 30s jazz and stuff (Kurt Weill-style). This sounds like bits of IRIS.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.