Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion D-Bo’s 12 minute Elfman suite

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Danny Burton
    Participant

Hi, D-Bo!

I searched for that topic where you posted a link to that gorgeous Elfman medley you made, but when I click on it I get “This page is not available.”

I was wondering if you could post it again.

Pretty please :)

D-Bo
    Participant

Hi, Danny Burton! Thanks for the compliment; didn’t seem like too many people were very interested the first time is was posted. Anyways, since then, i’ve made a small change (and I really think you’ll like it). However, that change came with a price as there is a kind-of bad edit that couldn’t be avoided around 5:12. Just imagine a chord or note or something being held much longer there (I haven’t quite figured out exactly how I want to do that yet). Anyways, here it is:

http://portfolio.iu.edu/dbohanno/Music/Suite_from_Spider-Man_2.mp3

EDIT: Just now I read the topic again, and totally misunderstood what you were talking about, silly me. :P I probably took it offline; online space is a precious commodity. I’ve uploaded it once more, so here ya go:

http://portfolio.iu.edu/dbohanno/Music/HistoryOfElfman.mp3

I’ll keep the Suite from Spider-Man 2 online in case anyone wants to hear it.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I still have the original suite on my computer. It sometimes shows up in iTunes’ shuffle.

Ryan

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I remember hearing your Spider-Man 2 Suite before, but I don’t remember the close-up swing being in there! That’s such a great cue, I love it so much. I can’t quite tell, but did you slow it down a bit to match the notes? I can tell that afterwards, the “Appreciation” track is slightly slowed down to match the pace, I think. Did you just do an audio capture from the DVD to get the close-up cue? I’m so very glad you worked it in there. I love both the Spider-Man 2 and History of Elfman suites, you’ve done a very good job compiling them.

D-Bo
    Participant

Yeah, the close-up swing part is new. I’d heard it when the DVD originally came out, but didn’t really think of putting it in until recently. I thought there was no way I could let an unreleased cue this beautiful go. It had to make it in there somehow, so I had to transpose that part down a half-step, then the rest of Appreciation down a whole step, in order to make the keys match. That and the transition to Armageddon is better. Overall, I’m quite pleased with it.

Anyways, thank you very much for your kind comments. I had hoped to be finished transcribing it all by summer 2007, but I feel it doesn’t too much matter now that we know Danny’s not scoring Spidey 3. He’s Back/Main Titles and Appreciation are done.

D-Bo
    Participant

Wow, my suite on Ryan’s playlist! I’m honored!

Oh, Ryan, question: Would there be any complications such as copyrights or something like that if I were to compose a kind of “Fantasia” on Danny’s various themes for Spider-Man, and have it performed? It’s just an idea I’d been tossing around for a while.

Danny Burton
    Participant

Oh my goodness, D-Bo. That is transition is absolutely flawless and so beautiful.

I just wonder what kind of crack those “music editors” were smoking when they decided to track music from the first film and replace that during the close-up swinging part.

Thanks a lot for both pieces. Great work!

PHIL
    Participant

Interesting. I like he Spider-Man suite. I also like what you have put together for the “History of Elfman.” I did something similar to this back about ten years ago with Hans Zimmer music (mine was less graceful…and it didn’t help much with dates either. MFADTvol1 does however make for great conversation!)

I would like to hear this reworked into “The Evolution of Elfman.” I feel that, albiet necessary, there is too much Burton/Elfman. I would like to hear some transitions in there. Although there are many more to chose from here are a few cue that I feel you missed and should consider for “D-Bo’s revamped version of ElfmanSweet”

Forbiden Zone, Back to School, Scrooged (La, La, La, La’s would be nice after Beetle Juice), Darkman (theme and Carnival from Hell), Night Breed (meat for the beast), The Flash (theme), Delouris Claiborne, MI:1, Desparate Housewives, Hulk, Big Fish. Well there are tons to chose from, and you have done a wonderful job all ready. I enjoyed listening to the suite you put together. Great work!

D-Bo
    Participant

Thanks, Phil. I open up your challenge to all other Elfman fans, as that took way too much work for me to put together before, and I probably won’t make another one soon. It was also made when Hulk had just come out, so that’s why some of the newer stuff isn’t in there.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

It appears that SuperheroHype.com has noticed this, because Danny leaving Spidey is a story there with a link to this site included. It says that he took the same path as John Dykstra in leaving the franchise for other projects. Something tells me that there were numerous problems on Spider-Man 2 that’s making all the crew members leave. Haunted maybe?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I don’t think it would be a problem so long as the performance wasn’t public or for profit. Mainly, whose gonna know?

Ryan

PHIL
    Participant

If at all possible, it would be wonderful to have an optional flash intro with pictures, and including a musical “history of Danny Elfman music.” Perhaps usuing excerpts from D-Bo’s sweet suite. Those who are new to the site and Mr. Elfmans music can use this to learn more about the music of Danny Elfman and his historical influence. Just think, what a way to mark the twentieth anniversary of his first major motion picture score, Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure, coming up this August! I don’t know how this can be done legally though. Any thoughts?… (maybe for educational purposes?)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.