Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Danny Elfman at the Royal Albert Hall, Oct. 7 2013

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    boingomusic
    Participant

I agree with you, not much was missing. We almost got all of the main themes. But I would still have loved to hear Remains Of The day, even the orchestral version, planet of the apes’ quiet flute-romantic theme, and Lydia’s theme from beetle juice.
    Other than that, the selection was perfect.

Your set list is in correct order. There are only a few things missing. Jenny’s theme from big fish (alternate new version), and young Ichabod’s theme from sleepy hollow.

I was seating at the right side of the stage, on the stalls, “G” area. I guess I was below you.

Man, I still cannot believe the quality, energy and beauty of what we’ve seen during this concert!!!

boingomusic
    Participant
    DannyBiker
    Participant

So I guess he’s scoring Avengers Assemble next…:)
    Great interview and thanks for the setlist corrections.

It was indeed a wonderful evening than I won’t soon forget. I hope one of the performance will be recorded and released somehow but I doubt it.

boingomusic
    Participant

Someone posted awesome videos.
    So here’s the first one. Then, click on the links to see the other ones :

DannyBiker
    Participant

Fun fact : that larsen sound you can hear at 0:19 is actually’s Elfman fault, I saw him turning its transmitter off in a rush and apologizing backstage…

Direct link to the youtube’s account : http://www.youtube.com/user/DeKuijp?feature=watch

boingomusic
    Participant

Oogie Boogie Song :

http://youtu.be/7HGWL6Lu-5M

ddddeeee
    Participant

I was at the Leeds one last night. Incredible, really unbelievable. My highlight was the silences after the Big Fish and Edward Scissorhands suites, could hear more than a few people sniffling. Might have shed a tear or two myself. His dancing was awesome and he can still sing fantastically though he didn’t speak at this concert.

Is there any hope for a DVD or whatever? I need to relive this.

boingomusic
    Participant

I dont know. The Royal Albert Hall seemed to be the nicest concert hall to film this. But they didn’t.
    But I know there are copyright issues with European orchestras. So, there might be a possibility that they’re waiting to record this in the USA with the Hollywood symphony orchestra. Let’s hope. I can’t believe that this was maybe the one and only time we’d been able to see him in front of an orchestra….!

And seeing his expressions, and moves and the way he was on stage really reminded me of his early Boingo days.
    I’m still recovering of this wonderful, wonderful experience.

boingomusic
    Participant

Oh, were Tim Burton and Helena there as well??

DannyBiker
    Participant

I’d be very surprised if they follow him on this mini-tour.

I think that the only chance of a recording happening is the US dates if the UK ones are successful. And I mean an audio recording, I don’t see a video recording happening. But then, I could be wrong…

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was at the RAH show and it was as brilliant as everyone is saying, a really magical evening with plenty to keep even hardcore fans happy.

It was a very technologically ambitious show, with electronics and backing tracks and some pieces synced to film clips. The engineers did a tremendous job of making it sound as good as it did – contrary to what you might think, the RAH’s acoustics are pretty poor (those strange flying saucers on the ceiling weren’t Mars Attacks references, they are an attempt to mitigate the sound problems the room has). Personally I think the Royal Festival Hall would have been a better venue from a sound point of view, but hey, the Albert Hall’s the Albert Hall, and it has a grand atmosphere you wouldn’t get in another setting. The amplified and acoustic sounds were well balanced and at its best it really sounded like the film mixes, but live on stage! There were some hairy moments where sections of the orchestra went out of sync with each other, especially on the faster oompah oompah sections of Beetlejuice et al, but by the time the show gets to the States it should be a well oiled machine.

Highlights for me:

– the Pee Wee suite that others have mentioned was really great, the best example of the deconstruction-reconstruction suites and a chance for Elfman to show off how far he has come in terms of sophistication and orchestral colour
    – Batman! The crowd had been a bit coy up to that point, but this was the first rock-concert moment. A few people whooped, then everyone else joined in as the organ hit that first note. The Joker’s waltz from the cathedral scene had been pimped up with the full Johann Strauss treatment that really sounded fantastic, and we were treated to an extraordinary Descent Into Mystery in sync with the clip from the film (no dialogue or sound effects thankfully).
    – the Maida Vale choir were amazing, too easy to take for granted, they had their work cut out for them and didn’t slip up once.
    – I’d never been too taken by POTA or Big Fish as scores, but hearing them live has really motivated me to revisit them. The Big Fish suite was a lovely nod to Copland and Ives.
    – Mars Attacks with Lydia Kavina on theremin – need I say more? I have a clip of this in my phone, I’ll try to get it online if someone’s not beaten me too it. Just the opening titles march in an ever-so-slightly different arrangement
    – And of course the Nightmare Before Christmas suite, which was pure brilliance, everything I had hoped for and more. Not sure if future shows will be getting Sally’s Song as I can’t imagine HB-C hitting the road. – perhaps you’ll get Catharine O’Hara stateside (which I’d have preferred, to be honest)?
    – the Wedding Song from Corpse Bride – I had forgotten how much fun that is, and it made for a great concert piece, as indeed the big choral Alice theme that closed the show (not counting the very entertaining Oogie Boogie encore where Elfman, who had been a tad nervous, finally relaxed and started to have proper fun)

All of you still waiting to see the show have untold treats in store. Enjoy!

DannyBiker
    Participant

About the acoustic, we had quite a few echoes of Elfman’s mic in the loggias. I even had to block one of my hear at one point as it was too distracting.

Thor
    Participant

It was indeed mindblowing. I don’t know what more to add than hasn’t already been said (and the videos that you’ve posted to).

Check out my pictures here (also includes the Horner in Vienna bit):

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151916416816278.1073741831.530696277&type=1&l=3b03991f26

ddddeeee
    Participant

I was at the anniversary show last night. Incredible night.

PotA was ditched for a short Wednesday suite. It sounded like a rock concert.

Elfman looked pretty emotional at the audience’s response.

I’d love a release of all the suites for this.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Oh my God, ten years…

Yeah I remember PotA sounding quite rough, it won’t be missed and with Wednesday’s success, it makes sense.

There was a live recording that we streamed somewhere a few years back that I used to listen to sometimes. But it was mixed with Elfman interviews so it was actually missing some suites.

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.