Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Danny Elfman’s Competition

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

This place is dead right now. While we wait for new Danny Elfman score, how about we discuss his past & present competition.

1985 – Back to the Future music. Iconic?
    1988 – Rain Man. Good score or nah?
    1989 – I don’t even know who won the Oscar that year!
    1990 – Miller’s Crossing music. Classic?
    1992 – I love Aladdin’s soundtrack. Do you?
    1993 – Jurassic Park or Schindler’s List? Which was the better John Williams score?
    1994 – Am I the only one who loves music from The Mask?
    1996 – Fargo. Better score than Simple Plan?
    1997 – Was Titanic’s music REALLY better than Men In Black?
    1999 – Anyone else love The Matrix music?
    2001 – Lord of the Rings. Nuff said.
    2002 – Minority Report. Good score or nah?
    2003 – X-Men 2. Good theme, bad score?
    2004 – Passion of the Christ. Good score or nah?
    2005 – Brokeback Mountain. Good score or nah?
    2008 – The Dark Knight. Good score or nah?
    2009 – The Year of Michael Giacchino?
    2010 – Inception. Good score or nah?
    2012 – The Hunger Games? The Avengers? What else was released?

boingomusic
    Participant

1985 – Back to the Future music. GREAT SCORE, the essence of adventure. We don’t hear themes like this anymore…

1988 – Rain Man. Never understood why this one was so popular…
    1989 – I don’t even know who won the Oscar that year! Alan Menken won for the little mermaid. John Williams really deserved it for Born on the 4th of July or Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    1990 – Miller’s Crossing music. Not so classic to me… Home Alone was probably the best score of that year
    1992 – I love Aladdin’s soundtrack. This is definitely a nice Alan Menken score
    1993 – Jurassic Park or Schindler’s List? Which was the better John Williams score? Both so different, and so good… One of the best years for Williams
    1994 – Am I the only one who loves music from The Mask? I love the theme, but the rest of the score is poor in my opinion
    1996 – Fargo. Better score than Simple Plan? Simple Plan is definitely more creative
    1997 – Was Titanic’s music REALLY better than Men In Black? Titanic music was a typicall commercial success. Melodies are accessible, sweet and sirupy. I liked it, but got sick of it very quickly.
    1999 – Anyone else love The Matrix music? Can not stand the Matrix music
    2001 – Lord of the Rings. Nuff said. How about Harry Potter. I remember buying both cd’s the same week-end. I felt like a kid in a candy store
    2002 – Minority Report. Good score or nah? Very disappointed when I heard it. Even the main theme is a repetition of many emotionnal Williams scores
    2003 – X-Men 2. Good theme, bad score? It works perfectly with the movie… But the theme is poor, and the cd is boring
    2004 – Passion of the Christ. Good score or nah? It was original to see Debney in this territory. But I never really got into that music
    2005 – Brokeback Mountain. Good score or nah? ooh lala, WHY did SANTAOLALLA get an oscar for this ?!??
    2008 – The Dark Knight. Good score or nah? No comment….
    2009 – The Year of Michael Giacchino? Michael Giacchino’s ONLY score that pleased me was “the lost world” videogame. The rest is unconsistent in my opinion
    2010 – Inception. Good score or nah? Nice sound design… This is not music to me… Only Sound design, and a damn good one
    2012 – The Hunger Games? The Avengers? What else was released? Very poor year… Maybe Skyfall, or Dark Shadows…

DannyBiker
    Participant

1985 – Back to the Future music. Iconic? Highly repetitive scores actually (which makes some sense to a certain extent) but when the base is so good, who cares ?
    1988 – Rain Man. Good score or nah? It’s listenable. That’s quite a lot to say for a Zimmer score.
    1990 – Miller’s Crossing music. Classic? I’ve seen the film but don’t recall the music. Carter Burwell is very good though.
    1992 – I love Aladdin’s soundtrack. Do you? Wife and I are into Disney movies right now and Alan Menken work during the 90’s was impressive with Aladdin being the hightlight to me.
    1993 – Jurassic Park or Schindler’s List? Which was the better John Williams score? Jurassic Park by far. The List of Schindler : very nice music but just not for that kind of film. I don’t need to be said when to cry when it comes to the Holocaust, thank you.
    1994 – Am I the only one who loves music from The Mask? Well, I remember that theme, that’s quite a lot to say for a Randy Edelman score !
    1996 – Fargo. Better score than Simple Plan? Really hard to compare. It looks like it could be but it shouldn’t.
    1997 – Was Titanic’s music REALLY better than Men In Black? No but MIB isn’t a wonder either. Plus, it lost to The Fully Monty actually.
    1999 – Anyone else love The Matrix music? Burly Brawl from Reloaded is one crazy track !
    2001 – Lord of the Rings. Nuff said. Great music but too much of it everywhere in the films.
    2002 – Minority Report. Good score or nah. I like it, especially the spiders cue.
    2003 – X-Men 2. Good theme, bad score? Yup, couldn’t have put it better.
    2004 – Passion of the Christ. Good score or nah? No idea.
    2005 – Brokeback Mountain. Good score or nah? No idea.
    2008 – The Dark Knight. Good score or nah? It has no ideas.
    2009 – The Year of Michael Giacchino? He isn’t always consistent but he gives me faith that not all is lost in Hollywood.
    2010 – Inception. Good score or nah? BZZZZZZ BRMMMM BZZZZZZ BRMMMM BZZZZZZZZ
    2012 – The Hunger Games? The Avengers? Neither.

ddddeeee
    Participant

He’s not the most prolific composer in Hollywood (though he’s up there) like he was a while ago, but I’m happy with that. I think his choices are way more interesting now.

1985 – Call me crazy but I really love Jerry Goldsmith’s music for the Rambo “trilogy.” Of the three movies, I think everyone’s favorite is First Blood from 1982 but I also enjoy Rambo and Rambo III. What do you guys think?

1988 – The Naked Gun music. Iconic?
    1989 – Michael Kamen scores a James Bond movie. Good or nah?
    1990 – Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Good score or nah?
    1992 – Bram Stoker’s Dracula music. Classic?
    1993 – In the Line of Fire. Great American score from Ennio Morricone?
    1994 – The Lion King. Iconic?
    1996 – The Rock. Good score or nah?
    1997 – L.A. Confidential. Good score or nah?
    1999 – The Sixth Sense. Good score or nah?
    2001 – Harry Potter. One of the last great John Williams scores?
    2003 – Pirates of the Caribbean. Good score or nah?
    2004 – Pixar’s The Incredibles. Good score or nah?
    2005 – King Kong. Good score or nah?
    2008 – Slumdog Millionaire. Good score or nah?
    2009 – Twilight: New Moon. Good score or nah?
    2010 – Tron: Legacy. Good score or nah?
    2012 – The Amazing Spider-Man. Good score or nah?

DannyBiker
    Participant

1987 – The Untouchables. You literally can’t touch it.

Unfortunately, the only movie Danny Elfman scored in 1987 was Summer School. So pretty much everyone did better than Elfman that year. Nonetheless, going over 1987, my favorite scores are:

Beverly Hills Cop II – Harold Faltermeyer
    Empire of the Sun – John Williams
    Lethal Weapon – Michael Kamen
    The Living Daylights – John Barry
    Predator – Alan Silvestri
    Raising Arizona – Carter Burwell
    Robocop – Basil Poledouris
    The Untouchables – Ennio Morricone

elfboy91
    Participant

MINORITY REPORT is one of my all time favorite John Williams scores!

I enjoy Minority Report but it’s definitely one of the lesser John Williams scores.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.