Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Danny on to score Hulk 2?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    polarbrrr13
    Participant

I was just perusing IMDB and Danny’s profile has been updated to include Hulk 2 (in pre-production with a release date set in 2007). Anyone hear anything about this? It’s not up on soundtrack.net.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

The IMDb info is updated by anyone with an internet connection and who has created an account with the site. Don’t believe everything you read on there.

Ryan

Monsterhead
    Participant

Yeah, seeing how this is going to be straight-to-video, I doubt Danny will do it….
    Maybe Christopher Young has room in his schedule?

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Marvel seems pretty confident that they’re going to put the movie out as a big-budget sequel with a lot more action and a lot less psychological crap than the first one, and it’s going to be without Ang Lee or Eric Bana. I won’t miss Lee, as he didn’t seem to appreciate Danny’s talents as much as he should have and I hated his style and smugness (he had the Hulk modeled to look like HIM instead of Eric Bana!), but I did think that Eric Bana pulled off the role pretty well. I’d like to see Danny come back for a second round with some more opportunities to go all-out.

Monsterhead
    Participant

I myself have always been picked-on for enjoying THE HULK – I though it was a good movie -so kill me!!

I read months ago that Bana is not going to do it because it was going to be direct-to-video and that David Duchovney was going to star. But things change all the time, so who knows? With escalating costs for special effects, I don’t think we’ll see this on the big screen any time soon….

Though, as a fan, I’m fully prepared to stick my foot in my mouth. And of course I’d love to hear Danny’s follow up approach to the score. But I think his music was about as ‘all out’ as it could have gotten.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

I won’t miss Lee, as he didn’t seem to appreciate Danny’s talents as much as he should have…

What makes you say that?

RCox
    Participant

Judging by some of the supplemental DVD material, there have been some who have accussed Lee of being dismissive towards Elfman’s contribution. However, it should be noted that Lee was forced to throw out a score by frequent collaborator and friend Mychael Danna. In interviews, Danna has said that this hasn’t affected their relationship, but it should be noted that he was not asked to score Brokeback Mountain.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I recall him saying that it shouldn’t sound like a Danny Elfman score. Um, then why hire Danny Elfman, Mr. Lee? I think that the score was very distinctively Danny’s anyway, except that he added that one theme of Danna’s to satisfy the director.

Ross Marshall
    Participant

I actually liked “Hulk.” The psychological part of it made it more enjoyable; to me at least. Danny’s music is great (albeit a little Spider-Manish) and Eric Bana is amazing in the role and if they got David Duchovony, I’d be sad.
    I do feel like I am in the minority, however, of people that actually enjoyed this movie.

Monsterhead
    Participant

TESTIFY!!

And as far as Lee pushing Elfman to not be too “Elfman” I seem to recall hearing Danny say on the DVD that he liked that…..

And what theme did Danny incorporate of Dayna’s?!?! That’s the first I heard of that.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

According to IMDb:

“Mother”
    Written by Mychael Danna

“Young Scientists”
    Written by Danny Elfman & Kenny Burgomaster

“Hulk Escapes”
    Written by Danny Elfman, Don Harper & Trevor Morris
    Featured Vocals by Natacha Atlas

TenderLumpling
    Participant

I recall him saying that it shouldn’t sound like a Danny Elfman score.

Yeah, I remember that quote from the LA Times website, but I think you’re misquoting it. Can anyone find that piece, anywhere?

Edward Bloom
    Participant

Well, obviously, Lee didn’t want Elfman to do his usual routine when it comes to superheroes. To me, it’s actually a very intelligent and reasonable approach; he just didn’t want an average score for his film. Pushing someone to try new things, new ideas, is always clever, even though the result might not be a success. I remember Elfman saying that, although it was a bit tense at first (they only had 30 days), he came to like Lee’s vision and I remember Lee complimenting Elfman’s music in the commentary track as well.

Those two were “forced” to work together I guess, so I doubt they will again but that doesn’t mean they didn’t eventually respect each other’s work.

RCox
    Participant

I believe it was a studio decision to hire Elfman.

Ross Marshall
    Participant

I thought the only bit of Dayna’s score left over was the wailing woman all over the score. Yes?

TenderLumpling
    Participant

I thought the only bit of Dayna’s score left over was the wailing woman all over the score. Yes?

No.

Monsterhead
    Participant

That wailing woman is Natasha Atlas – she even has some albums out. I believe she’s Greek and would be found in an international section of a music store….

I’m not surprised at all that Elfman would use someone like her in his music.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

The use of her solo voice seemed a bit more like a Zimmer or Horner thing to do. Danny doesn’t do the “ethnic” sound all that often, and when he does it’s pretty much tailored to his style (a la the Oompa Loompa themes).

Monsterhead
    Participant

Ahhhhhh, whatever different people may think, I for one feel like her voice was a nice touch. Not too Elfman-sh, yes. But a helluva lot better than Horner or Zimmer.

And how are Oompa Loompas “ethnic”?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Might be the percussion and vocals or perhaps that they are played by a diminutive East Indian man… And hail from a jungle-type setting. I don’t know many W.A.S.P cultures that hail from jungle regions!

Ryan

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.