Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Danny’s Synthesizer Phase

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Earlier today I was re-arranging my playlist and decided to place Danny’s music in release date order. And I noticed that in-between “Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure” and “Back to School” he scored “The Jar” from “Alfred Hitchcock Presents,” “Wisdom,” and “Face Like a Frog,” which are all synthesizer scores. The only exception was the “Mummy, Daddy” episode from “Amazing Stories.” Then, after “Back to School” he did the theme to “Sledge Hammer” which was also synthesizer.

So, what was up with Danny’s synthesizer phase? Don’t get me wrong. I like it. Heck, in some cases I love it. You can’t really hate “Face Like a Frog.” Still, though, it is kinda odd.

Oh, and I know that “Face Like a Frog” is listed as 1988 but if you watch the short it says 1986. I don’t know when in `86 but since it’s animation I’ll just assume it was before “Back to School.” Oh, and “Sledge Hammer” is easily the funniest and most campy score that Danny has ever written.

Thor
    Participant

I certainly think Elfman knows his way around a synth, and would have loved to see him do more work exclusively in that format. I think WISDOM is bloody brilliant, a cross between Jean Michel Jarre in his ZOOLOOK mode and the early Boingo stuff. And the main titles with John Wisdom in the bathtub has a definite Tangerine Dream vibe a la RISKY BUSINESS.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.