Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Did Elfman Ever Outsell Madonna? DICK TRACY QUESTION

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

In 1989, there was the Prince Batman Soundtrack and the Elfman Batman Score Album. Originally, if I’m not mistaken, Prince outsold Elfman. But over time, Elfman ended up the champ.

In 1990, the same happened with Dick Tracy. Except this time it was Madonna. Did Elfman ever outsell Madonna? I mean, that Dick Tracy album score is pretty much out-of-print. Unlike the Batman score Album which can still be found in stores.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I doubt, even 20 years later, that the BATMAN score album has sold more copies of Prince’s BATMAN song album. I believe Prince’s album went “double platinum” (according to the RIAA, 1 million copies = platinum). A quick search of the RIAA website won’t even yield Elfman’s BATMAN, but all of the BATMAN song albums (BATMAN, BATMAN FOREVER, BATMAN & ROBIN — all various artists).

Based on observation, it would seem like Elfman’s album did better in the long run. It is rare to find Prince’s album in any store. Yet you’ll always find atleast one or two copies of Elfman’s album.

Nick Parker
    Participant

Really? Any time I look in a store (like Borders), I see only Batman Returns…..

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Where were you in 1989? It was quite the opposite. You know, when Prince’s albums old 2 million copies, and “Batdance” was the no. 1 song on pop radio!

I’m not talking about 1989. I’m talking about 1990-2009.

elfboy91
    Participant

I don’t really like Prince at all… he’s weird.. but I don’t think Elfman ever outsold him…. And I don’t think Warner Bros. really cared who sold more… just as long as they both sold a lot… and you know Elfman doesn’t care about the Album sales.

Nick Parker
    Participant

Elfman was probably just happy that he got an album release at all.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.