Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Directors who should hire Danny

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

There are a lot of directors out there that hasn`t hired Danny YET but which ones should do that?

Here`s my top 5 List of directors who has not yet hired him but should do it:
    1, Joe Dante
    2, Jim Abrahams
    3, John Frankenheimer
    4, Joel & Ethan Coen
    5, Jon Avnet
    And that was only five of my choices, what`s the names on your list?

Anonymous

I’m sure there’s a sixth director who’s name starts with J that you havn’t put up yet. . .

Anonymous

Joe Dante works exclusively with Jerry Goldsmith… Joel and Ethan Coen work with Carter Burwell. The other directors are total hacks!

Ryan

Anonymous

Terry Gilliam!! He used to work totally with Michael Kamen but has drifted, so I’m sure SOMEone could talk him into hiring Elfman.

Anonymous

Er… Jon Avnet? The guy who directed “Up Close and Personal”, movie which featured a theme song by Celine Dion?
    Why???
    Gilliam is a great choice. I’d also love to see Elfman working in his small, independent mode with a director like Todd Solondz (“Welcome to the Dollhouse”, “Happiness”, “Storytelling”). And Spike Jonze. And imagine what he could do working in a Baz Luhrmann weird musical.
    But… Jon Avnet?

Anonymous

Well, all i can tell you folks is that Frankenheimer lost it with me was soon as he hired some other guy to score Dr Moreau. The rest of the choices are blah blah, and thats like saying Spielberg would use Elfman, which i’m sure he won’t. It’s all about the collaborators, business sense. and the favoritism. A spielberg flick won’t fare so well without Williams, and i think the same goes for Burton, considering how much money Ed Wood made (sans the Oscar). Most Directors stick with the same formula, anyway, unless they have enough clout and money to throw down a creative picture to see if it flies…I mean, look at Spielberg’s AI and Minority Report — he’s still tapping a genre that doesn’t sell too well for him. But he’s rich, so he can afford it.

Anonymous

I’ve always waited for the day Gilliam and Elfman will work togther, but it will never happen. Frankenheimer would be good -if he ever makes a good movie again.

Paul Verhoven could be fun. Werner Herzog would be interesting too. I’ve always thought that David Cronenberg should finally let Elfman score a movie he’s made. As Elfman tends to score most of the movies he acts in. And besides, Burton used Shore – so maybe there could be an even exchange some day?

Francis Coppola maybe? Has Ang Lee hired a composer for THE HULK yet? That could be something….

Anonymous

Mychael Danna is scoring THE HULK.

Anonymous

Solondz for me as well. Anybody who can do a freakish dark comedy like ‘WElcome to the Dollhouse’ is in my book of “hip” for good. And in my opinion, anything with the descriptions “freakish” and “dark” is synonymous with Elfman. At least, that’s what made me salivate over his stuff the first time I actually paid attention to film scoring…

-E

Anonymous

yeah, its too bad no other composer really is on the same level as elfman is in terms of his type of film scoring. WELL, actually, James Horner has produced a couple of werid scores — Casper and Grinch — and i give him credit for those, and maybe Debney for doing some collabo work, and obviously Bartek for his efforts. But other than that i don’t see any new composers coming in..and they sure have ALOT of accomplished Williams knock offs, in comparison. Everyone’s slowly starting to get into sampling and synthy Trevor Rabin/Hanz Zimmer video gamey music anyway…

Anonymous

i’d like to see Elfman work with Tarsem Singh, Martin Scorsese, Tom Tykwer, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Alfonso Cuarón (although he normally uses Patrick Doyle), or Curtis Hanson… Or, what about Christopher McQuarrie…is he going to make another movie? …or Roman Polanski…
    for that matter, it would be nice to see him work with some directors AGAIN… like Martin Brest, Brian DePalma or Steven Zaillian.

Anonymous

…and Peter Jackson, The Hughes Brothers and Cive Barker.

We forgot to mention that a Danny/John Waters combo would be great!

Anonymous

You know what, I think this new director Christopher Nolan (Memento, Insomnia) could really benefit from Elfman’s music. First off, the scores to those movies were painful (watching the movie, that is, which is rare for a score to have that effect). Secondly, these movies were very twisted. As we all know, that is a realm for Mr. Elfman does well for. Someone tell Nolan that he needs to ditch that other guy.

Joe

Anonymous

the composer’s name is David Julyan, and he’s doing a great job. sorry, i love Danny, but i’m looking forward to more collaborations between Nolan and Julyan…

Anonymous

I’m thinking all directors should hire Danny at some point in time–well, just because!

Anonymous

Why I had chosen directors who have names that starts with a J, was just my plain simple humour, you know Danny is a guy with a special kind of humour so why shouldn`t we have it too

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.