Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Ebert & Roeper spar over Elfman’s songs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dawg Man
    Participant

In their reviews for Corpse Bride (which they split on), Roeper criticized the movie’s songs as “forgettable”, which sent up hairs on the back of my neck. Ebert ofcourse disagreed. The whole review is up online at the show’s official website if you want to listen.

Ofcourse, if you check RottenTomatoes.com you’ll see that the vast number of critics (especially the syndicated columnists) disagree with Roeper’s comments.

Phoe_Elfman
    Participant

grrrr!
    , but…is only a stupid i think

Monsters R us
    Participant

I told you all there’d be bad reviews. You oughtta check out the IMDB…they got lots to say, too. This ain’t no NBX. That much is certain. But it was an ok 90 minutes…

SleepyHello
    Participant

Roeper isn’t even a film critic. He’s a hack, but a friend of Ebert’s from the Sun-Times.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

This ain’t no NBX.

Few movies are.

Monsters R us
    Participant

Man, you’re really looking for me, aren’t you? Cute…but i’m a heterosexual male, so…sorry.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Well, am I wrong? Corpse Bride isn’t a sequel to Nightmare, it isn’t a followup to Nightmare, it’s another stop-motion animated film co-directed by Tim Burton. No film could followup Nightmare.

Also, the acronym for Nightmare is TNBC. X-mas isn’t really a word.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I hate it but love it when I disprove people who think Tim directed TNBC by bringing up the name Henry Selick, who nobody has really heard of. The look on their faces is priceless. Corpse Bride is a completely different movie. I hate it when people say it’s a follow-up to TNBC.

Ghost Moth
    Participant

I even saw one review online where the critic called it a sequel to Beetlejuice!

As far as Ebert and Roeper,
    they take fair turns in proving they both have equally bad taste.
    Many find Richard Roeper’s reviews “forgettable”.
    The demos didn’t blow me away, but the Coprse songs grew on me.
    And the final versions of these 4 songs in the film and on CD are pretty damn good.
    The most annoying review for me was on Amazon,
    this cat said something about Remains of the Day being too zany just for the sake of it.
    It’s a song sung by an animated skeleton in a dark romantic comedy.
    It is zany, get over it.

–Ghosty

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.