Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Edward Scissorhands ballet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    9fingeredElf
    Participant

Some interesting news

This year: the debut of Bourne’s Edward Scissorhands ballet. “I’ve given up trying to call it something else,” the director says, echoing a familiar theme. “People understand what a ballet is. It’s in the style of my other pieces, but I’m not a ballet choreographer. Still, it’s definitely not a musical. Actually, Tim Burton and Caroline Thompson, who wrote the screenplay, originally conceived it as a musical.”

“I put the idea to do [Scissorhands] onstage to [composer] Danny Elfman first,” Bourne continues, “and then to Tim. I was quite open-minded toward a musical, but they wanted it like the other pieces. They were excited by the prospect of non-verbal theater. It came from them, really. We’ve written the scenario for this version. It’s quite different from the 1990 film. Danny’s written some more music and it’s starting to be designed. We hope to go into rehearsal by September. We’re quite far down the road.”

Click  here for the full article:

http://www.villagevoice.com/dance/0510,phillips,61829,14.html

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Thanks for the info 9fingered, this is pretty big! I’m really not a fan of ballet, but I’d definitely pay to see hear some new “Edward” material. Think about it. When Danny wrote the score 15 years ago, it was still relatively early on in his career, and it’s still one of his best works. Imagine what he’s able to do now with all this experience under his belt! I wonder if it will be touring?

PHIL
    Participant

Fifteen years WOW! I still enjoy listening to this masterpiece and watching the film yearly. I recently watched the DVD comentary with Burton. I really liked the life observation he made and captured beautifully of “people sitting and watching the neighborhood in their garages.’ Fantastic movie. A ballet..interesting.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.