Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Elfman and Lo Duca. Army of Darkness.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

I was re-watching Army of Darkness recently. Both Elfman and Joseph Lo Duca do a wonderful job on the score. However, it’s kinda interesting how different they are. In a way, Lo Duca captured the score perfectly. It was silly, dark, moody, heroic, and had that middle ages sound. While Elfman’s March of the Dead is kinda, well, epic! It almost sounds like Elfman is scoring another movie. lol. Like a more serious and darker movie. What are your thoughts on that and how do you think the entire score would have turned out had Elfman composed the entire movie?

Nick Parker
    Participant

I am curious, who scored how much?

TenderLumpling
    Participant

As I recall, Danny wrote the march which went over some of the skeleton marching at the end and the main title.

Nick Parker
    Participant

So I am not missing too much. Oh, wait this website has audio samples…

Eh, I really am not missing much. This is actually one of the more underwhelming Danny Elfman pieces that I have heard.

Thor
    Participant

I agree. “March of the Dead” is not really anything we haven’t heard from him before…and better. The highlights are to be found in LoDuca’s score, such as “Ride on the Peripets” or whatever the heck the track was called, used in countless trailers since.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I love “March of the Dead”. Perfectly captures that Herrmann/Harryhausen vibe that Elfman/Raimi were going for. I esp love the low brass/woodwinds.

Co-incidentally (bragging here) I met Sam Raimi last night. I did not ask him about Danny Elfman ;)

what did you ask him?

DannyBiker
    Participant

“Hey Sam…what’s your favourite Minority Report track ?”

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Ha, ha, ha!

“Have you ever seen the movie Hellraiser II?”

elfboy91
    Participant

“will you marry me?”

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I didn’t ask him anything. It wasn’t an interview!

I met him here:

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/people/archive/peoplearchive.php/Sam_Raimi/imagescreen/380369

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.