Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Elfman inspired by Prokofiev?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Well, if Elfman wasn’t, was the Sleepy Hollow soundtrack inspired in some strange, horrific way to Sergey Prokofiev?
    I was listening to a song by Prokofiev, called Lieutenant Kije (accent on teh E) and in a bells/violin melody, there is a piece that is identicle to a section of the melody in Sleepy Hollow. I can’t point out which, though.
    Does anyone know if he’s inspired by anyone, even if it isn’t Prokofiev?

-Em

Anonymous

If you ask me, Sleepy Hollow has alot of LoDuca’s Evil Dead series in it — with the hunter-esque horns, etc. It’s like a mix of things he got inspired by…funny how this score stands out, because he never repeated the style again, just went straight into the heavy percussion. I’d say kinda like Scissorhands, but he used that same style in Darkman and Nightbreed, particularly because they came out around the same time. Anyway, it’s quite possible, even if he’s been known to be heavily inspired by African rhythms during his wandering years.

Anonymous

Oh yes — like recovering from Malaria? I read that somewhere.

But there’s a piece in this music, bells and violins, that is the same in Sleepy Hollow. Maybe the notes differ a tiny bit, and I know its not EXACTLY the same, but it does *sound* the same. I just thought that was kind of strange. Of course, if you ask me somewhere in the future, if I make it to be a composer (True dreamer here!) then I’d say I’m inspired by Prokofiev and Elfman. So if Elfman said that also… hmmm

-Em

Anonymous

YES YES YES ! I heard elfman say on a television interview (back in the 80’s) that he was inspired by classical composers like Prokofiev and Stravinsky.

Also, if you’re familiar with his early Mystic Knights Of the Oingo Boingo work, you’ll notice that an old song contains a whole thematic element, directly taken from the Lieutenant Kije suite.

Well… if you’re still not sure, listen to Black Beauty… It is pure Prokofiev/Bartok inspiration…

Anonymous

Listen to the Darkman theme and then listen to the ‘menacing theme’ (my crappy description, not Prokofiev’s) from Alexander Nevsky.

Anonymous

OOF! I knew it. You know, as a joke, I said on the Train message board (I have a friend there that will research men that the gal’s lust over. So she studied Elfman for me and…) “You know, Bysshe, this Elfman and I, we’s gots a lots in common.” (The rest was kind of full of inside jokes, so its of no importance.) Isn’t it true, though?!?! :)~

-Em

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Resurrecting an old thread… so old the posts are not attributed to any active users!

Anyways, I was listening to Prokofiev’s “Romance” from the Lieutenant Kije suite and for a second I thought I was listening to Black Beauty…

I googled and actually found this thread, on my own message board 😂

DannyBiker
    Participant

Ahah, this very track popped up in my Spotify “Discover weekly” playlist a few weeks ago and I thought the same thing ! A lot of “The Nightmare Before Christmas” in there too…
    I also recently listened to a Brecht’s song (I think, can’t find it again) that was a very obvious source of inspiration of The Nightmare. I mean, all of the Threepenny Opera is a source of inspiration for it but that one in particular was almost note for note Jack’s Lament…

boingomusic
    Participant

Haha Ryan,
    It did the exact same thing to me. Actually, I heard this Prokofiev piece played live in concert in the late 90’s, at a time when the Black Beauty score was hard to find on cd. So I bought this cd instead, That was the closest I could get!

I later realized that Elfman had litteraly used parts of Lieutenant Kijé when he performed with the Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo.
    You can hear parts of this here, at 2:38

So, Elfman was definitely inspired by this!

Thor
    Participant

Elfman’s love of Prokofiev (and all the Russians) is well-known, of course.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.