Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Elfman on Sweeney Todd

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    DannyBiker
    Participant

I bought a french magazine about Fantasy/Sci-fi/Gore movies called “Mad Movies” that has few pages about Burton’s Sweeney Todd. In the article, Elfman says something about the film that I haven’t read before. Nothing big, but I thought I had to let you know. I just hope this isn’t old news.

“I don’t work on the next Tim Burton only because it is based on a famous musical. If Stephen Sondheim and his orchestrators wouldn’t be alive today, maybe I would have accepted to arrange some cues for Tim. But for now, the most capable person to work on the music of a Sweeney Todd film is Stephen himself, obviously.”

What a reasonable man…:)

Danny Burton
    Participant

I wonder if they worked closely at all during Dick Tracy and how was the relationship between the two.

Monsterhead
    Participant

Ugggggghhhhhh……what are you talking about? Did I miss something here?

Mike Troxell
    Participant

Sondheim wrote the songs in Dick Tracy, and Elfman wrote the score.

Monsterhead
    Participant

What songs? The crappy Madonna stuff? I have the soundtrack, but just the Elfman score. Is my memory of that film SO faded that I can’t recall any songs in the film? Man, 2008 is too hard for me, can I go back…?

Mike Troxell
    Participant

Yeah, just the Madonna stuff.

gaba
    Participant

Crappy? Hardly.
    “Sooner or Later” = fantabulous.
    :-)

RCox
    Participant

“Back in Business” is a lot of fun, too.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

If Stephen Sondheim and his orchestrators wouldn’t be alive today, maybe I would have accepted to arrange some cues for Tim.

Maybe it would have been nice if Elfman were around to freshen up the orchestration. There were times when it sounded like the original recording.

(And I, too, love the songs in Dick Tracy, and would love to see a two-disc Vista release of the movie.)

Monsterhead
    Participant

Well, in my deffense, I was thinking about that Vougue album Madonna released at the same tim as this film…Christ, how time plays tricks on our memories. Not my taste then, hardlymy taste now.

I do recall the songs in the film fitting nicley with the tone of the film now. Still, Sondheim’s music in SWEENEY TODD was just an empty experience for me. Why, oh why, can’t I fit in with the cool kids?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.