Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Elfman Studio Logo Themes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    FilmMusicKayaker
    Participant

Elfman fans! I have an obscure request – but what soundtrack fan doesnt enjoy obscure items?

According to a couple websites with film studio logo theme info, Elfman composed the logo theme for Hollywood Pictures (you can hear it on the While You Were Sleeping DVD and others); and for New Regency films in 1993. I have the recording of Hollywood Pictures (courtesy of the DVD) and now want to find the New Regency logo theme. According to Soundtrack.net it appeared on Sommersby, but I checked a VHS copy of the movie and the logo is silent, so either they are in error, or it was heard in theatres but not released on the VHS.

Anyone know if its at the beginning of the Sommersby DVD, or if they know of another DVD with the theme accompanying the logo?? The New Regency website lists several of their films, but many of them I dont have on DVD. Any help searching for this “Lost Ark” would be appreciated!

Thanks!

An Elfman “completist” fan

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

The New Regency logo music is actually from the SOMMERSBY score. I believe you can hear/see the logo at the beginning of THE NEGOTIATOR.

FilmMusicKayaker
    Participant

Thanks rkeaveney! Now that’s good trivia! I will check that DVD – my brother has it I think. I see what you mean about the logo theme being ‘from’ the score…there is another example of that: Micheal Kamen’s logo fanfare for Morgan Creek pictures (can be heard on the “The Whole Nine yards” DVD) is derived from his ‘Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves’ score.

Thor
    Participant

Yup, it’s from SOMMERSBY. To my knowledge, Elfman has never written a specially composed logo theme for anything. One of the few things he HASN’T done yet.

Lucius
    Participant

Also, if you rent ‘Down With Love’, you can hear Mark Shaiman’s jazzy rendition of the Sommersby Theme.

Lucius

D-Bo
    Participant

Never? This discussion has come up before, and I think it’s been established already that Elfman did the Hollywood Pictures logo.

Natrebo
    Participant

Didn’t he do some logo stuff for the Starz movie network, I know it might not count as a movie logo theme, but I remember there being a rumor that he was going to write one…

… anyone know if this is true?

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Yes, he did write the Starz theme:

http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-2264450/Film-Composer-Danny-Elfman-Scores.html

I’ve lately been wondering if Danny wrote the music for the more recent Lionsgate logo. It kinda sounds like his work:

Thor
    Participant

Ah yes, of course, I forgot Hollywood Pictures!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln136S-Fxqk&feature=related

But I’m not familiar with that Starz thing. Does it exist on youtube?

FilmMusicKayaker
    Participant

Spider-Fan, Lions Gate does sound like his work, I agree. I wish there was a way to confirm. The 2 main websites I consult dont mention Lion’s Gate unfortunately – but check these sites out if you have an interest in film studio logo themes. Not every studio logo is mention but together the two lists are pretty comprehensive. (teh soundtrack.net list unfortunately doesnt know many of the composers names)

http://www.classicthemes.com/studioLogos.shtml

http://www.soundtrack.net/logomusic/

YouTube has lots of logos people have uploaded, and in some cases I’ve learned what DVD I can find one on, but too often the posters don’t say what film they got it from. I’ve collected about 40 logo themes so far and about 7 versions of the 20th century Fox fanfare (many of those from CDs).

It would be cool if Varese or some label could release a logo theme CD, but I’m sure the licensing would make the project too expensive, despite the fact that most logo fanfares run between 4 and 15 seconds :) and the audience would be small, not everyone cares too much about logo themes. But I think its cool that so many film composers have written these logos over the years. And they are fun to collect.

FilMusicKayaker

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.