Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Elfman to score Charlotte’s Web & A Day With Wilbur Robinson

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    johnmullin
    Participant

Hey, Music from the Movies is reporting that Elfman has been signed to write music for two upcoming children’s films: Paramount’s live-action CHARLOTTE’S WEB and a computer animated flick for Disney called A DAY WITH WILBUR ROBINSON.

You can read the details on those (plus a little more on his Serenada Schizophrana piece) here:

http://www.musicfromthemovies.com/article.asp?ID=462

My reaction is wow… four family films for Elfman on the horizon! CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY, CORPSE BRIDE, CHARLOTTE’S WEB and A DAY WITH WILBUR ROBINSON. I couldn’t be more excited about this as I think those films are generally places where the music counts and is allowed to be imaginative and playful. I’d much rather see him do these kinds of pictures for a little while than more action movies.

johnmullin
    Participant

Oops! This has already been coved under the “Future Projects” thread! Sorry!

TenderLumpling
    Participant

I couldn’t be more excited about this as I think those films are generally places where the music counts and is allowed to be imaginative and playful. I’d much rather see him do these kinds of pictures for a little while than more action movies.

Me too. Charlotte’s Web particularly has potential to have some really stunning music in there.

Good news!

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I’ve listened to CHARLOTTE’S WEB twice in two days — man, does this score make me weepy. It’s the film/score’s 10th anniversary this year (10 years!!) and I find it somewhat disappointing that this score generated very little heat when it was released. I’m not sure what was going on in Danny’s life at the time, but to me it sort of echoes the emotional writing of BLACK BEAUTY and really found Danny in that sinewy sweet mode that proves he’s more than just a quirky or macabre guy. Listening to CHARLOTTE’S WEB you might be inclined to think he’s just a big softie!

Give this one a listen if you haven’t in awhile.

Ryan

ddddeeee
    Participant

I don’t listen to it often but when I do I always really enjoy it and wonder why I don’t listen to it more… This happens around once a year.

DannyBiker
    Participant

That music over the logos…to me, it synthesizes how Elfman can put you right in the excitement of a film that is about to begin. It’s so dynamic I sometimes play it again and again for 15 minutes.

boingomusic
    Participant

I can’t agree more with you Ryan. The theme has always been one of my favourites for the past ten years.
    It’s so soft, fragile and magical. Great great score. Saw the movie couple years ago and realized it was ruining the music for me… So, I just stopped, and decided to forget all about the film!

rkeaveney Wrote:

> I find it somewhat disappointing that
    > this score generated very little heat when it was
    > released.

Because the movie came and went. Unfortunately, in most cases, a film score is only as successful as the movie it’s attached to. Even Black Beauty and Somersby aren’t as famous as they should be. That’s why I like it when a director like Quentin Tarantino uses old music in his films. It puts a spotlight on forgotten scores. I never would have listened to The Grand Duel by Luis Bacalov if he hadn’t included it in Kill Bill.

In Danny Elfman’s case, he just had Midnight Run featured in the new Chipmunk’s movie. It’s not a big deal, but it’s something. We were all stunned when a track from The Kingdom was in Rango and it worked better. Hopefully, there will be more in the future.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.