Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Elfman week-end at Paris Philarmonic (Sept. 19) with potential new concert work

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    DannyBiker
    Participant

Found the info in a French film music board. The announcement is not completely public yet, should be in the next few hours.

Translation time :

Season 2019/20 at the PHILHARMONIE DE PARIS

In September, Danny Elfman Week-end in presence of the composer :
    – on the 14, “chamber” evening with the Berlin Philharmonic Piano Quartet (piano/violin/alto/cello – more information later on but an original piece is announced).
    – Same day, Alice in Wonderland live concert
    – on the 15, “Symphonic Elfman” with the Brussels Philharmonic and the Flesmish Radio Choir conducted by John Mauceri : Batman, Batman Returns, Edward Scissorhands, Alice in Wonderland, Eleven Eleven (violin concerto), I forget (Serenada Schizophrana).

Concert pass will be available starting this Saturday (16/02) at noon. Tickets some time later.

—–

After missing out the Nightmare Before Christmas show in London, I’ll definitely won’t be missing this.

I’ll update with more info when available.

Thor
    Participant

Sounds great, wish I could be there.

Elfman actually broached the news about the piano quartet to me, personally, in my brief interview two years ago. Took some time to finalize, but glad to see it’s finally being released. The other ‘chamber piece’ sounds intriguing. He’s building up quite the catalogue of concert works now.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Official info : https://philharmoniedeparis.fr/en/programming/thematic-weekends/danny-elfman-weekend

No mention of any new concert work so that might have been a misunderstanding.

I’ll be there, tickets go on sale this Saturday.

boingomusic
    Participant

Just bought my tickets for the 3 concerts, front row!
    So excited to finally hear something different than the Burton/Elfman concerts.

ddddeeee
    Participant

The 14th is my birthday. Really considering a very expensive trip…

DannyBiker
    Participant

Got my pass as well. I really wasn’t into Alice’s live concert so I got the cheapest seats possible for that one. I’m not even sure I’ll attend anyway (kind of ruins the day’s schedule, in the middle of the afternoon).

So it seems that the Saturday evening will include a new concert piece and Elfman will be there for a Q/A session.

boingomusic
    Participant

Yeah, same for me. I really wanted to have nice seats. So, I didn’t want to wait until May to buy individual tickets. So I bought the pass.
    But I felt the same way about the Alice concert.
    And I actually felt bad about feeling this way 😅

Think about it. Before 2012, a symphonic Elfman concert was not even concievable. And now, we have a whole Elfman weekend. And we have second thoughts about watching a Burton film with live orchestra, even when the tickets are part of a package. I love the Alice theme. Not a huge fan of the movie. But I’ve seen Alice Live in Lucerne a few years ago. I guess that’s why it didn’t feel so necessary. And… hearing loud action music at 3,30pm before going to a chamber music concert the same evening doesn’t feel right.

You’re actually the third person I talk to, today, mentioning the lack of motivation about going to see the Alice concert…

boingomusic
    Participant

Yeah, same for me. I really wanted to have nice seats. So, I didn’t want to wait until May to buy individual tickets. So I bought the pass.
    But I felt the same way about the Alice concert.
    And I actually felt bad about feeling this way 😅

Think about it. Before 2012, a symphonic Elfman concert was not even concievable. And now, we have a whole Elfman weekend. And we have second thoughts about watching a Burton film with live orchestra, even when the tickets are part of a package. I love the Alice theme. Not a huge fan of the movie. But I’ve seen Alice Live in Lucerne a few years ago. I guess that’s why it didn’t feel so necessary. And… hearing loud action music at 3,30pm before going to a chamber music concert the same evening doesn’t feel right.

You’re actually the third person I talk to, today, mentioning the lack of motivation about going to see the Alice concert…

boingomusic
    Participant

So, who’s attending the Elfman weekend in Paris?
    Did any of you notice the program has changed ?

The chamber concert on Saturday evening was supposed to start with a Q&A (which is still the case) and then, after the break, the announced program was : Elfman film music pieces adapted for chamber orchestra. And then, the Piano Quartet.

I don’t know what exactly happened, but the Elfman film music for chamber orchestra somehow disappeared from the program and it’s replaced by a Mozart piece. Seriously??? Mozart???
    I mean, I have nothing against Mozart. But when you travel to Paris for such an event, you’d expect them to, at least, let you know about program changes. And, if they respect film music fans, maybe replace it with something closer to the artist you bought tickets to hear. Any other film music composer quartet would have been nice. Or anything by Stravinski or Schostakovitch, or Prokofiev… but Mozart?!?? Really????

I feel cheated.

DannyBiker
    Participant

I’ll be there.
    Indeed I forgot about that some original piece was announced. I was kind of surprised by Mozart too but I guess unknown composers deserve their break too…

🙂

ddddeeee
    Participant

Soo jealous of you guys.

boingomusic
    Participant

Great evening. The discussion was fun, and as many times as we’ve heard the “Batman theme during his flight” story, it’s always fun to hear him tell it. Like all good jokes, it gets better every time.

I asked him the first question about his script projects. Little Demons, Jimmy Callicutt etc. I wanted to know if it’s something he decided to give up, or if there’s still hope. He started to answer saying he wrote these just to keep himself busy, and then moved to another subject. Didn’t really got a full answer 😅

DannyBiker
    Participant

I asked the before last question, about how his writing process for concert commissions is different from for film scores to which he answered that it was basically being able to write without a leash.

Very nice evening indeed although I would have hoped more questions about this concert works, rather than “How did you come up with the Spider-Man theme?” or “Will you work again with Guillermo Del Toro?”. Oh well.

The piano quartet was splendid, especially the last movement that was played a second time as an encore. It was funny to watch Danny recording the encore from the side of the stage, even selfying a few times.

Fun fact : I was apparently staying at the same hotel then John Mauceri that I saw in the lobby, going back to my room.

Can’t wait for tonight…

boingomusic
    Participant

Haha, that was a nice question, Danny Biker. Wow, I felt so uncomfortable when they asked that Spider-Man theme question. It made no sense. And Danny didn’t know what to do with it. 😅

The concert tonight was unbelievable. By far the best performance EVER of his Batman suite. It was insane. I’ve heard it at least 6 times with different orchestras. But this one was Magnificent.
    I wonder if they changed something with the orchestrations. It was bolder, and the balance between the violins and the violas seemed different.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Fantastic concert indeed last night. The concerto was spectacular and while I haven’t heard much of the film suites since their London premiere, they were some differences in Batman for sure indeed. The Alice’s Theme felt also a bit more precise than the one from the “Cine-music” concert from Saturday. I was quite impressed by the Brussels Philharmonic Orchestra and it was quite funny to go to Paris to see an orchestra from my hometown playing. A lot of musicians were staying at my hotel as well, lol.

Really a fantastic experience and you could really see that Danny was enjoying every second of it, especially the applause. I’ve put some pictures and a video on my instagram…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.