Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Elfman’s Hulk score- a final thought

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I just got my hands on the work print off the Hulk and man is it different compared to the theatrical version. The biggest difference is the score. Other than a MIDI demo version of the opening credits (which sounds amazingly great, almost like the full orchestral version), the temp score is a mishmash of Peter Gabriel’s Last temptation of Christ and some weird techno stuff I’ve never heard before. It just goes to show how effective Elfman’s original score is. As I’ve said before, Elfman’s recent output of late has my respect but hasn’t appealed to my personal sense of music appreciation. That is until he came out with The Hulk. It’s a great score and that darn 6 note motif is really catchy-and extremely effective in the film.

Way to go Danny!

Anonymous

Doug Adams shares your affinity for the 6 note motif as well(but how the hell he whistles a chord is beyond me), as he defended his Hulk Score Review in FSM.

His defense appeared today on the Film Score website:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/articles/2003/30_Jul—Hulk_Mailbag.asp

I was going to post this as a new item but Dave was kind enough to start a new HULK thread.
    Thanks Dave! :)

Nat

Anonymous

I want that MIDI clip!!!

Knight

Anonymous

I wouldn’t mind a copy either

Steve

Anonymous

Hmmm. I guess my initial post wasn’t clear since a couple of you out there think I have that demo opening credit music. I don’t although I wish I did. The work print that I got was off of KaZaa. The quality is crappy but I’ve already seen the film twice in theatres and cannot wait for the DVD to come out.

I have yet to hear of a complete score for this film circulating around…would be interesting though. Mind you, I don’t recall any music abscent on the CD.

p.s. One can whistle chords if one is talented enough to whistle the overtones. In fact, it’s not that hard. Hum and whistle at the same time. You can produce more than one note.

Anonymous

But those exact notes? – I know about that monk throat singing that can produce 2 separate and distinct tones (used by Philip Glass a lot), but I don’t recall the term?

If you can whistle (not hum and whistle) the HULK three note chords then I would love to be your agent. ;)

Nat

Anonymous

Vocal Harmonics is one term.

Anonymous

Yeah NAT I actually can’t sing The Hulk motif thing but really it’s just notes from a minor triad in descending form. I think that’s the brilliance of that theme. It’s so simple but so very effective.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

OLD THREAD!

Just saw this work in progress HULK main titles with temp music by Walter Werzowa.

http://artofthetitle.com/media/film/2003/hulk_wip_offline.html

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Weird, I was just looking at that today! If you read the accompanying interview with the title designer, it’s Interesting when he says that Elfman based his music off of the temp track that he used. I’d say Elfman pretty much did the whole thing himself.

Nick Parker
    Participant

Hm, another somewhat recent Danny Elfman score curiously missing from my collection. Danny Elfman only had two weeks or so to write the replacement score, am I correct?

elfboy91
    Participant

I think so but I’m not sure… It’s not one of Elfman’s better scores but it’s still interesting to listen to.. I don’t think Ang Lee really knew what he wanted! Still a cool listen!

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

An incredibly rich score. You don’t have a collection without it!

sajrocks
    Participant

That is so f’ing cool Ryan. Thanks for posting!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.