Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Elfman’s impact on Darkman

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Saw this at Wiki:

Raimi and Tapert ran into conflicts with the studio during post-production. Early preview screenings did not go well as people laughed in the wrong places and complained about a lack of a happy ending.[10] Then, two preview screenings, one with Danny Elfman’s score went well. Tapert remembers, “the experience on Darkman was very difficult for Sam and me; it isn’t the picture we thought it should be, based on the footage we shot and all that. The studio got nervous about some kind of wild things in it, and made us take them out, which was unfortunate.”[1]

EDIT:
    Another question is…did those cut scenes include Elfman music we haven’t heard?!

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I’d love to see the cut footage as DARKMAN is one of my favorites.

Universal needs to release a special edition DVD. With the success of the Spider-Man franchise I’m surprised they haven’t done this already.

Monsterhead
    Participant

I’m sure that Raimi would have to control every aspect of the DVD release. Something he surely does not have time for. Hence, no special edition…

It’s a shame too. You’d think that Universal would just do it without him.

I think they have interest. Recently they re-released the DVD with a new cover.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Yeah but they do that wilth plenty of films. How to make fresh news out of old ones…

Monsterhead
    Participant

Yeah, all the studios are doing it. Old transfers in new jewel cases…

sajrocks
    Participant

the fellas at cinemablend had an adoringly fanboy interview with elfman recently. while the convo was primarily about DUMBO and elfman’s work with burton, elfman revealed that his theme for DARKMAN was originally written for a different film. 😮

interview takes place 1:04:10 – 1:22:11 here: https://www.cinemablend.com/podcast/2468999/reelblend-62-us-spoilers-and-our-danny-elfman-interview

DannyBiker
    Participant

Great trivia indeed !

Of course, we don’t know how it would have played out but I find it funny that he perhaps was in a stage of his career where he felt that he couldn’t re-use a musical idea at all. Look how a Family Man theme became the Spider-Man 10 years later; it’s quite common for film composers to expand on an idea they first introduced in another movie.

Thats a great piece of trivia but also not totally surprising since Dick Tracy and Darkman are cousin scores of Batman. I can see Elfman using bits & pieces that weren’t used in one movie and using it in another and so on and so forth.

For example, I was listening to Sommersby recently and noticed hints of what he’d use on Black Beauty a year later.

It would be interesting to take a deep dive on Elfman scores and follow the trail from one movie to the next.

9fingeredElf
    Participant

I was listening to Big Fish and some of the cues he used with that film showed up as Corpse Bride songs.

DannyBiker
    Participant

One of my favorite is a full foreshadowing quote of the Edward Scissorhands theme in Attack of the Batwing.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.